What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are cropped image can be retrieved in photoshop?

photo photo

hello, when I cut a part from an image by right click and clicking "Layer Via cut" and now, other parts are destroyed, then after from that, I save it with "png24" or "jpeg". now my question is, when I want to open Image stored by clicking "File" and then by "Open" in photoshop, so I can see only the cropped image.now In such circumstances, can I see the parts of the defunct using one way?

thank you.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
When you saved as a png or jpg, evrything is lost. Had you saved as a psd, there may be a chance the rest of the image is there for as long as you didn't use CROP on it. MENU>IMAGE>REVEAL......

In the future, always work on a duplicate layer so you have the original to go back to. Or work on a copy of the file image. Take snapshots at regular intervals so you have history points go back to.

I usually save versions of the WIP (eg. wofk v-1, workv-2...etc.) I'd save in a new file version whenever I do drastic edits like cropping. If I don't like what I did, I have a copy to refer back to......

Tom Mann

Guru
That's excellent advice from dv8. I do exactly the same thing about saving different versions of the work in progress under different names. I actually will append the date and time to the filename (eg, D7A-1234-20150316-1530.psd) so that if I have to go back and find a point before an edit / error (LOL), it's very easy to get the chronology right off of the file names in the directory.

Tom M

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I actually will append the date and time to the filename (eg, D7A-1234-20150316-1530.psd) so that if I have to go back and find a point before an edit / error (LOL), it's very easy to get the chronology right off of the file names in the directory.

Tom M

That also works.

But you can also check for the exact dates and time stamps by setting up your Open File window to DETAILS view with Date Created and Date Modified tabs in view....

filedate.jpg

Date Created shows the file when you first created it via Save As...... , Date Modified when you used Save during your work activity .....