What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glitch/ Anomaly?

dividedbyzero

Hello I am new to photoshop, yesterday I had an image file loaded onto photoshop and then dragged another image over the old one. When I tried to move it with the mouse the image morphed colors and textures, this I was able to manipulate by just dragging the image around. It has happen a few time since, not sure if this is a glitch, I can't find a pattern. I would like to figure this out for the outcome is awesome. Any input would help.

whatisthis.jpg

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
so let me get this straight, you want to know how to glitch like this?
or you're experiencing a glitch and want to be rid of the bliter?

MrToM

Guru
Post the [erroneous] PSD file....then we can take a look at it and see whats happening with what and where, how, why...etc, etc.

Regards.
MrToM.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Hey, i do this all of the time... I love glitching! :D

there's two methods i prefer to use, the wordpad method, which i've detailed here

and the manual method, which is more time consuming, but yields more precise results such as this one:
tank_composite_by_zeealex-d8vldrc.jpg

I can go into more detail on the manual method if you like, a majority of it is random clicking and copy pasting, mixed with move tool and adjustments

dividedbyzero

Hey, i do this all of the time... I love glitching! :D

there's two methods i prefer to use, the wordpad method, which i've detailed here

and the manual method, which is more time consuming, but yields more precise results such as this one:
View attachment 56142

I can go into more detail on the manual method if you like, a majority of it is random clicking and copy pasting, mixed with move tool and adjustments

Yes more detail on manual mode would be helpful, thanks again

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
hmm, sorry, i kind of went AWOL, I've got a lot of work on hand at present, sorry about that.

Basically, without giving you a wall of text the best way to to the manual glitch is to be as random as possible with what you do,
I recommend you download these optional plugins by Richard Rosenman if you wish to follow my short guide:
Pixelate (it carries more adjustability than photoshop's built in version):
http://richardrosenman.com/shop/pixelate/
and my personal favourite, scanlines:
http://richardrosenman.com/shop/scanlines/

To start out, grab your image. any image will do, unlike the wordpad technique you are in complete control over the effect here.

I'm going to use this:
107410_2015_01_13_00008_by_zeealex-d8vyp4q.png
it's a screenshot I took in Arma 3, just like the previous example, you may use it too for practice :)

Now, with the rectangular marquee tool set to additive selection start making rectangular selections at random ON AND AROUND THE SUBJECT, biased more towards wide and short if possible, but it's down to preference in the end. you can be as crude or precise as you like.

my selection is this:
selection_by_zeealex-d8vypgv.jpg

Now copy what's in this selection and paste it into a new layer

move the layer left or right, it doesn't matter, but you will get almost an interlaced effect.

duplicate this layer

if you have richard rosenman's pixelate filter installed, open it by going to filter>richard rosenman>pixelate, play with the settings so they're how you want them. but turn the outline slider all the way down.
if you do not have richard rosenman's filter, go to filter>pixellate>Mosaic, and set the slider to how you like it.

once you're done, set this layer to the "exclusion" blend mode if your image is DARK or lighter colour if the image is LIGHT

I used exclusion:
2_by_zeealex-d8vyqcb.jpg

from here, duplicate your background layer and pixelate the entire thing

go to image>adjustments>hue/saturation

change the hue to a colour you want, and up the saturation until the gradients become more coarse.

Set the blend mode to lighten for a dark image or overlay for a light image

add a layer mask to this layer

in the layer mask, go to filter>render> clouds and then go to image>adjustments>brightness and contrast, and turn both sliders all the way up.

okay, now select the entire image go to edit> copy merged

paste the new layer on to the top of the stack, set its blend mode to divide for reference, call this "highlight" it will change your image to a strange colour, don't panic

copy merged the image again, paste it, and set this layer's blend mode to overlay, then unhide "highlight"
this should give the image a look of over exposure, and will accentuate the pixellation.

once you're happy an optional step is to overlay a scanline layer.
to do that, create a new layer and fill it grey, open richard rosenman's scanline filter, and set it to a setting you like, then okay it, and set this layer's blend mode to overlay.

then add a vignette by creating a new layer, and applying a wide white to black circular gradient and then set the blend mode to multiply with an opacity of roughly 50%

my base glitch is this:
3_by_zeealex-d8vys04.jpg

you can do these steps however you like, that guide should give you a basic guide to start off your glitch, then you just use parts of the same technique to accentuate or reduce effects. do any one of these steps as many times as you like in the same image, or you can splice other images into it to look like a video frame glitch

if you need me to elaborate, I'm more than happy to.