What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding gay pride flag overlay (was: New member with creating custom filter question)

LiuJohnD

Hello, I'm new to this forum (haven't use too many forums either). Have been a print graphic designer since the dawn of time ( I started with a Mac SE when it first came out!). Am very familiar with PhotoShop (CS6) , I have a rather unusual request from a client and was hoping someone can shad some light – (if this isn't the right forum, where to ask this question)

You know the Rainbow effect on FaceBook that's been very popular? Can you tell me how that 's done? Is it a filter? How to create custom filters in photoshop? I read somewhere to use Filter Factory, but it seems very complicated to use with CS6 on a Mac. Your advice is very much appreciated.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: New member with creating custom filter question

What rainbow effect on facebook? Please provide an image, thanks.

Tom Mann

Guru

Unless you intend to do hundreds or thousands of these, I see little need for a specialized filter, or even a Photoshop action: Just find or make a copy of the flag (ie, parallel bars of color), store it somewhere convenient, and then when you want to use it, just put it on its own layer above the main image, reduce the opacity to some low-moderate value (eg, 10 - 40%) and you should be fine. If you want to add a bit of your own unique touch to it, change the layer blend mode to something other than "normal", and re-adjust the opacity.

Another option for you might be to save the flag as a pattern layer effect in your library and apply it from there.

Am I missing something?

Tom M

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru

And here are a few examples of various blending mode options ...

Statue_of_Liberty-plus-gay_flat1-ps04_blending_mode_results-annotations_merged-698px_wide-for_GI.gif

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Re: Adding gay pride flag overlay (was: New member with creating custom filter questi

Of course, the most dramatic colors will be if you use the flag as an ordinary background and place the subject in front of it, each on separate layers.

Tom M

Attachments

• Statue_of_Liberty-plus-gay_flat1-ps01bb-statue_in_front_of_flag-01.jpg
    Statue_of_Liberty-plus-gay_flat1-ps01bb-statue_in_front_of_flag-01.jpg
    668.3 KB · Views: 6

Juned Maknojiya

Re: Adding gay pride flag overlay (was: New member with creating custom filter questi

Look at these.

O1CvtSp.jpg

fsmxp7r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Mann

Guru

I like the effect, Juned, but I'm curious, why did you make the stripes vertical instead of horizontal? I've never seen the gay pride flag in this orientation and think that doing so defeats the recognizablity of their symbol / brand.

Tom M