What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is probably a re-introduction

Burned Ice

Power User
Hey guys, I'm Burned Ice and I used to be active on this forum 4 years ago!

now thát's a long time ago! It's great to recognise a few familiar names here (dv8_fx, Zeealex, Hoogle,..) I remember when we tried setting up a PS Guru online chat, those were the days :)
I learned a great deal about photoshop here, and it turned out to be pretty useful when I joined a Game Dev school after finishing high school. I'm a second year dev now and I've learned things like C++, 3D modelling in max, unity prototyping and even more photoshop. There's so much more to learn though :)

I'll include one of my works from last year when I started out with high poly modelling, it's not perfect and I made a lot of mistakes, but that's part of the learning process ;)
part of the exercise was to make it appear vintage, I might've gone overboard with that :) there are also minor mistakes like mirrored background etc.

Glad to be back here :)

Outdoor Vintage.jpg

Hoogle

Guru
Welcome back dude I remember you, not been round much lately been very ill and weeks in hospital. Will. Catch up soon

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Burned Ice and welcome back.

The link in your sig line is not working.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The pages here reload every 5 seconds, so most chat could be done here. Some of us use Skype as well.

I will be interested in seeing your Chat Lobby.

Burned Ice

Power User
Welcome back dude I remember you, not been round much lately been very ill and weeks in hospital. Will. Catch up soon

That sure doesn't sound good :/ I hope you get better soon!

Hello Burned Ice and welcome back.

The link in your sig line is not working.

Thanks sam :p and yeah my signature is a remnant of the time I was here years ago, it used to work back then ;)

Burned Ice

Power User
heya burned ice! long time no see :D

good to see you back!

Good to see you back as well :D I can see from your signature that you got into 3D modelling as well?
I've only had one year of training so I'm still not very pro, but I got at least 4 courses of 3D ahead of me the following 2-3 years :)

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
awesome! for a year in you're doing really freaking well already! :D

yeah, I've been involved for about a year and a half, currently working with a modding group for Arma 3 and I'm hoping my friend can hook me up to help out with an indie game, as I keep getting really picky about their head models XD
It's good to see another 3D homie on the scene, we can compare notes! :D

you have a particular preference, hard surface, organic?

Burned Ice

Power User
awesome! for a year in you're doing really freaking well already! :D

yeah, I've been involved for about a year and a half, currently working with a modding group for Arma 3 and I'm hoping my friend can hook me up to help out with an indie game, as I keep getting really picky about their head models XD
It's good to see another 3D homie on the scene, we can compare notes! :D

you have a particular preference, hard surface, organic?

It's kinda stupid but I don't have any 3D courses this year :( but I still model sometimes, next schoolyear is going to be hardcore 3D for me. I haven't yet learned how to deal with organic models (apart from the ocasional low poly plant)

Here a low poly scene I made half a year ago, I always tend to use textures that are too simple (and those boats are badly unwrapped, something I'm not good at)

EDIT: I should've used a better render but I'm too lazy to make more tonight

Beauty Render 3.jpg

Last edited:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
ah, organic modelling is really rewarding once you get into it, it was the modelling i started into.

That LP scene is actually really good, I think even with a simple skylight and rendered in mentalray it would look a lot better, sometimes you can have amazing textures and the lighting lets it down, but you've already acknowledged this.

I'm in a similar position to you on my course at the moment, the only part of 3D modelling this year is learning it, and I already know enough of the ins-and outs to create an asset and import it into an engine, so it's really tough to get the marks xD

as for unwrapping, :O do you use textools, or are you using blender?

Last edited:

Burned Ice

Power User
as for unwrapping, :O do you use textools, or are you using blender?
I use 3DS max, as it is required for college. no textools, I do everything by hand, I'll show you the unwrapped boat, it's bad, like, I panicked (it was for an exam, don't worry, I passed ;) )
Boat UV.jpg

took a screenshot from my scene view in max, too lazy to render
Sceneinmax.png

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I'm glad you passed! :D

ayeeee sorry, i mean this in the nicest way possible but *cringe*

seriously dude, get textools, if nothing else it makes UVW mapping much easier and accessible.

http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/

best thing since sliced bread :)

the scene looks really awesome though, i've not touched architecture in a loooong time!

Burned Ice

Power User
I'll have to ask my teachers if it were allowed to use third party tools for unwrapping, as they can be very icky about it. Last year I wouldn't have gotten permission because the whole point of the course was to be able to do it ourselves; didn't really got any good at unwrapping, it still is something I'd have to dive into, because the only reason I hate doing it is because I'm not good at it, and it's a part of the pipeline process that I need to master

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
oh you still do it yourself, textools just uses different algorithms for the exact same tools in default max, but I can see what you're getting at they can be a bit finnicky.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
ooh nice! looks like a really awesome place! I don't study anywhere fancy, just newcastle school of creative industries... studying games design, so it's quite a broad subject, something I dislike intently.

Burned Ice

Power User
I just googled your school and on their website they said they teach you how to draw concept art? I was obliged to take drawing classes in my first year and I had never drawn before, but I made good progress, too bad it was the only course I failed.

View attachment 60541

Attachments

• Aspeslagh_Timothy_1DAE7_04_Lineart_Old.jpg
    Aspeslagh_Timothy_1DAE7_04_Lineart_Old.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 2

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
yep, concept art, sequential imaging, animation, game asset creation (3D modelling and texturing) and life drawing.

then in the second year, so I've heard, they give you a brief and you do whatever the hell you want.

how did you fail drawing!? that's 10 times better than anything I've done on paper and i managed to pass!