What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just purchased ps - and need basic help! Please!

TechnicallyChallenged

I am trying to create (2) Layers and then to merge them - to simply use the background layer (a plaid pattern) as the border for the other layer - an image of a golfer.

I go round and round - it seems to make one the background layer - then replace it with the other image instead of putting it as Layer one.

Then layer one remains the checker board, UGH.

Can someone please help me with such a basic request?

I tried the youtube tutorials but they are even so complex. I am really doing something I would call very remedial.

ANY ONE WHO CAN HELP?

many thanks!

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Walk us through the EXACT procedure your using. (Called a workflow)

Please post some screen shots of your layers panel.

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Walk us through the EXACT procedure your using. (Called a workflow)

Please post some screen shots of your layers panel.

can you see the screen shot?
That is what came up on my PS...as if I had accomplished something? To my knowledge I did not.

Attachments

• ps.JPG
    ps.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
NOW THIS IS WHERE I RUN INTO PROBLEM (with my "work flow")
I click to add a Layer...then open the next jpg1 for my Layer 1 AND IT REPLACES THE PLAID IMAGE AS MY BACKGROUND. grrrr.
and even though I click Ctrl Z - it does NOT undo....and I cannot delete it either there is a round circle over my garbage can.

WHAT AM I DOING INCORRECTLY?
Please advise.
PS3.JPG

Nope, they appear here!

All of your images need to be within the same document. Yours are in 3 different documents.

With the Move Tool, you need to drag 2 of the images to the tab of one in order to combine them.........one at a time.

Hello? Did we lose you?

You can also copy and paste.

Tab the document you would like to copy, hit Cmd/Cntrl + A (select all) the hit Cmd/Cntrl + C to copy (EDIT>COPY).
Then tab the document you would like to paste the copied image into, hit Cmd/Cntrl + V (EDIT>PASTE) to paste the copied image.

Here's a written tut on how to open multiple images into the same document: http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/layers/images-as-layers/

Last edited:
I have gotten myself into a place I cannot get out of....I think I am going to start over. Just to clarify, first, by "move" tool you meant lasso, correct?

Either way will work. I have to admit that I have a growing concern that you're so unfamiliar with Photoshop that we are going to have a hard time getting through this.

Is this just a project that you are doing for yourself? Because you need to be starting with the groundfloor basics.

Last edited:
I am so sorry. I realize how unbearably frustrating this must be.
Honestly, it's painful for me as well....because in-my-mind what I want to do is SO simple.

and this PS does NOT seem to be user friendly. Don't get me wrong, I AM embarrassed by my own stupidity, but I am only willing to admit 1/2 the blame, here. ;)

re: the back story.

My friend is turning 60 so I went to an on-line greeting card site to order create/order invitations.
I wanted a argyle or plaid background (or border) for them - because to me that goes with the Golf theme.

On ANY site I went to you can only upload one image -- so the guy on the phone told me - to go into PS and merge the images (add my text in PS too) and come back and just upload everything as one image.

Anyway... this is as far as I got.... before I ordered "Bridge"
I will try it that way, now.... wish me luck!!!! :pps4.JPG

In the screenshot above, you still have 2 separate documents.

I understand the frustration. It would be much easier for me to do this for you than it would be for me to try and explain the required processes.

I invite you to upload or link to the original images your trying to use and I will put it together for you.

The golfer image you have chosen is watermarked, did you not purchase the original image?

I am happy to purchase it, it'll be perfect for the invites. how do I purchase it.....? I told the adobe guy - who charged me $120 to buy PS... that the invitations are only $23 for 10 of them. this is getting pricey. ;) i find any DIY project I do would be so much cheaper to buy from a pro. LOL. but then where's the love that went into it. (and the opportunity to make yourself feel like a moron!)

I should also mention all the open screens are confusing me....
by the time I complete a step in the work flow it takes me another 10 mins to find this screen to show you
.Br.JPG
So it looks like I was successful.... How do I get out of this screen to work with the plaid & golfer?

The problem is that I don't know what you have open in Photoshop. As long as you have the images open in Ps, you can close Bridge.

You purchase image stock from the website where you found it.

Back