What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone--help on a photoshop process

Status
Not open for further replies.

creeper

I am starting a book and need some assistance. I am by far not new to photoshop but need help with something. I am trying to turn a color photo into a sketch. Now I know how to do that, its easy. I need to know how to make the mids and shadows look like actual shading. like crosshatch. can I fill with a certain brush stroke? help please and I can show you a photo of what I am trying to do. thanks all for having me!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

It would really help if you could post an example of the effect your trying to achieve.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Try this method if you haven't already.

Hit this icon in the quick reply window.
ImageUploadIcon.jpg

Then follow these instructions.
ImageUploadIcon_02.png

creeper

This is the look I am trying to get. But with my own arrowheads. I know how to do a quick sketch type. but the shading is the problem and it takes way to much time to set the brush and do it all by hand.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

creeper

from this. sorry I am trying to learn how to use this upload/download process

Attachments

• woodfordclovis.jpg
    woodfordclovis.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 4

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No problem, your doing fine.

Shadowing is more of a result of the lighting at the time that the arrowhead was photographed. Low angle lighting would have produced more pronounced shadowing of the napping.

Your really never going to reproduce the illustrated effect of the hand drawn images without some work. You actually have a pretty decent result with what you have. You may want to increase the contrast by adding a Curves adjustment layer.

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 10.30.12 AM.png

creeper

Thanks for your help. I took what we already had, and done a levels adjustment on it. I then adjusted the threshold at bit. I then run an angled strokes and cross hatch filter over it. I will send the results.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, I'm in the process of trying different filters, the graphic pen filter shows some promise.

creeper

this is the best I have so far. I think if I goto select and select mids and shadows and do a radial blur or motion blur.

Attachments

• forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Paul

Former Member
Two threads with same request?:banghead:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Paul, the newer thread was added to the free request forum. So I will be closing this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.