What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi Guys & Girls

lukey159

Hi Everyone,

As per most people I joined this forum to gain better knowledge and insight into photo shop, I am a noob as they say but I also know my way around photo shop :)

I mostly do and or like retouching and enhancements of photos which brings me to my first & second question, which I hope is ok, 1st: Do you guys use / prefer using a mouse with photo shop or a drawing tablet, if so why?.

Second question, Do you use photo shop filters by that I mean ones such as the add-in topaz ones etc (hope thats the right wording / thing im talking about), If so which ones and why?.

Can't wait to use this forum and further develop my photo shop skills and hopefully show .

Thank You :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG. Glad to have you with us and hope you enjoy the forum.

1st. 10000000% Tablet!

2nd. I use some filters but not as many as others. If your workload is substantial, you would benefit from addon filters, If your just going to mess around with Ps, no need.........learn to do it with Photoshop.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I'm a mouse guy, never tried a tablet yet.
I use Photoshop filters sometimes, but I'm very cautious to use Topaz filters and the like. Most users overdo these effects and damage there work instead of improving it.

Helios

Hi Lukey, welcome to the forum. :)

Yes, tablet - in my case it is because I am a painter (in various software, not just PS) and the control and pressure sensitivity a graphics tablet gives you is pretty much essential unless you're very VERY patient. I used to use a mouse for a simple style I worked with involving just solid lines and flat colour, but getting a tablet opened up a whole new world of digital painting for me and now I just couldn't go back to a mouse, even for simple things. The expressive quality of the lines you can draw is far superior.

I've done a bit of photo manipulation and retouching but I've never looked at addons, just a few of Photoshop's default filters like blurring/sharpening.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Why do you prefer a tablet?
This is an easy one to answer................absolute control that you can never have with the mouse!

I will admit that I was more or less against a tablet at first. Then I tried one! It was a minor learning curve but I would never go back to using just the mouse.

lukey159

Thanks for the replies guys and girls. I see now I should go out an buy a cheapish tablet to try :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the replies guys and girls. I see now I should go out an buy a cheapish tablet to try :)
Well if your up to taking a word from the wise, don't buy a cheap tablet, you will only have problems with it. Save for a better one...........you will end up buying it in the end anyway.

lukey159

Thank you all for your input and I will def be saving for a good tablet. Hopefully get it soon, till then the mouse shall remain a friend.