What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creative director job seeker

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Big question, do you want to be caudled or do you want serious and honest feedback on this video?

What genre would you be targeting with the video?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Okay......................no answer.

Here's a place to start. A resume should have some of the following criteria.

Objective
What is the objective of your resume?

Personal Details
Your full name, address, home telephone number and cell phone number.

Education / Qualifications
List your qualifications and education history.

Professional Qualifications
List your professional qualifications, membership of professional associations and professional ID numbers.

Training
List any work related training training which you have attended.

Work Experience
If you have been working for a number of years you probably do not need to include any part-time jobs, vacation jobs, voluntary work or unpaid work experience.

Achievements
List 3 to 6 of your most important work achievements; your other achievements can be described under the work experience section.

Other Experience
List any computer skills you have.

Here is a similar video resume............note that it hits most of the points mentioned above.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's another specific to Ae that includes some of the above criteria.

Confestium

Errm..

Being honest but that was just weird. How about some nice flat design infographics to get your point across.

Tom Mann

Guru
I have hired a lot of very talented people in my career, but to be blunt, if I was the person trying to fill the position of an Executive Creative Director, after watching this video, I would hit the delete button within seconds of it ending. I wouldn't even waste my time having my secretary send you a rejection letter because this resume is so far below the norm for such a position.

There are many reasons behind the above statement, but for starters, your video doesn't provide me even the smallest morsel of evidence that suggests you could help my organization as a executive creative director. At the very minimum, I would be looking for clear evidence that you had helped some other organization while working in a similar capacity, eg, examples of creative work done under your direction/guidance, a list of successful advertising campaigns you sold (if that's the sort of thing you have done in your career), number and quality of creatives you have supervised, etc. There was nothing of the sort in your video.

I'm really sorry to have to be so blunt, but you obviously need someone to tell it to you "straight": I've reviewed thousands of resumes, and this was one of the worst I have ever seen. Sorry. Hopefully, this was just a bit of a joke, not to be taken seriously.

Tom M

Mrdigitalchef

Errm..

Being honest but that was just weird. How about some nice flat design infographics to get your point across.

That's funny
Thanks for the reply
I thaught it was funny and told a story
I understand it needs work but I liked the direction I'm making adjustments thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I understand it needs work but I liked the direction I'm making adjustments thanks

I'm just being as honest and truthful as I can, you need to scrap this effort and go back to the drawing board. Please take the time to view other online video resumes to get a better idea of what direction you should be taking.

Mrdigitalchef

I have hired a lot of very talented people in my career, but to be blunt, if I was the person trying to fill the position of an Executive Creative Director, after watching this video, I would hit the delete button within seconds of it ending. I wouldn't even waste my time having my secretary send you a rejection letter because this resume is so far below the norm for such a position.

There are many reasons behind the above statement, but for starters, your video doesn't provide me even the smallest morsel of evidence that suggests you could help my organization as a executive creative director. At the very minimum, I would be looking for clear evidence that you had helped some other organization while working in a similar capacity, eg, examples of creative work done under your direction/guidance, a list of successful advertising campaigns you sold (if that's the sort of thing you have done in your career), number and quality of creatives you have supervised, etc. There was nothing of the sort in your video.

I'm really sorry to have to be so blunt, but you obviously need someone to tell it to you "straight": I've reviewed thousands of resumes, and this was one of the worst I have ever seen. Sorry. Hopefully, this was just a bit of a joke, not to be taken seriously.

Tom M

I thaught it was funny
I understand it needs work but its a
Good story
why do I need to lay it all out for you
Statistics blah blah blah if I'm applying I must feel Im qualified for the position - you said you watched it till the end thanks for the input

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrdigitalchef

I'm not sure what to say - I've seen your examples there ok - the responses I'm getting basically say where's the pertanant information
That's the point it's just to build your curiousity - I don't want it to be like everyone else that's why I get paid the big bucks ill find a balance in there somewhere thanks

Mrdigitalchef

Couple spelling errors
There's no pertanant information
Seems to be the conscenses
if you watched it to the end and you understand the story than so far so good you'll watch the next change

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's the point it's just to build your curiousity - I don't want it to be like everyone else that's why I get paid the big bucks ill find a balance in there somewhere thanks
Therein lies the problem, curiosity is diminished when the product seems to be that of a very young person. If this is the best example of your creativity, and you can do much better, then your only hurting yourself and your potential for future employment. As a possible employer, if I were to view this or a similar version of the resume, I would not consider you for the big bucks. Sorry, I'm just trying to be honest.

Tom Mann

Guru
...if I'm applying I must feel Im qualified for the position ...
The problem is that probably every other person who applied for the position also feels qualified, and you have not given a shred of concrete evidence that would support your "feeling" and thereby distinguish you from all the other applicants who are similarly confident but, in actuality don't even have the minimum qualifications for the position. The people who get jobs are those who can put themselves in the shoes of the person hiring and try to think about what you would want to see in the applicant it was you hiring.

Basically, that fact that an applicant "thinks" they are qualified for a job means absolutely nothing -- you've got to prove yourself. At minimum, at least be able to tell them that you held a similar (or precursor, or analogous) position in, say, a smaller organization and your tenure there was highly successful.

BTW, I'm sure I would make a better president than either Hillary or Donald. Riiiight.

Tom M

Last edited: