What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with .jpg images displaying on a TV

Regdor

Hi.

When I process my dng images in Photoshop CC to ,jpg ,I am unable to show them on TV screen. Error message "unable to read file"

When I process the same images in Lightroom as ,jpg, I am able to view them.

This has only happened since I went from CS6 to CC,

Any help would be appreciated.

Regdor.

Tom Mann

Guru
Please post one or two of the JPGs that don't display on your TV. We'll be happy to take a look at them and see if any glaring problems show up.

BTW, that being said, in the past, I have had occasional problems displaying JPGs on one of our TVs. It has always turned out to be some restriction placed by the TV on the types of JPG files that the TV can read.

For example, I think that once, the problem was caused by too long of a file name, another time, the file was too large in pixel dimensions (ie, a very wide panorama shot), and I seem to recall a 3rd incident, as well, but in all cases, the files could be read perfectly by any computer-based image viewing software that I tried.

If you have not done so already, you might want to look at the on-line instruction manual for your TV and see if they discuss restrictions on JPG files.

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

Regdor

Please post one or two of the JPGs that don't display on your TV. We'll be happy to take a look at them and see if any glaring problems show up.

BTW, that being said, in the past, I have had occasional problems displaying JPGs on one of our TVs. It has always turned out to be some restriction placed by the TV on the types of JPG files that the TV can read.

For example, I think that once, the problem was caused by too long of a file name, another time, the file was too large in pixel dimensions (ie, a very wide panorama shot), and I seem to recall a 3rd incident, as well, but in all cases, the files could be read perfectly by any computer-based image viewing software that I tried.

If you have not done so already, you might want to look at the on-line instruction manual for your TV and see if they discuss restrictions on JPG files.

HTH,

Tom M
Regdor.

I will have to work out how to send attachments.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Regdor -

First, FYI, there is another fellow active on this forum with a very similar screen name to mine. My screen name is "Tom M". His screen name is 'MrToM". To make matters even more confusing, my real first name is, indeed, "Tom", whereas his real first name is not, "Tom", but he never uses his real name, so it really doesn't matter what it is, LOL. Anyway, he's the handsome one, so you better not confuse us, LOL.

Now several things about this file stood out that conceivably could prevent your TV from displaying it, or at least, displaying it correctly. As I said in my last post, you will have to check the instruction manual for your TV and see which of these actually are troublemakers. These include:

1) Some systems will not accept a file name that contains anything other than letters and/or numbers. You have both an underscore and a space in this file name. Also, some really old systems won't accept file names longer than the old DOS standard, 8.3.

2) This JPG file is in the Adobe RGB color space instead of the more common sRGB. Almost no TVs will know what to do with such a file. It should simply pretend that it is in sRGB, but some systems will have a minor nervous breakdown over something this trivial.

The file size looks absolutely fine, and it certainly displays properly on any hardware / software that I have tried it on.

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

Regdor

Hi Tom M

I will change the color space to sRGB,that is my usual setting.
This problem started when I installed latest version of PS.
I will let you know if it solved the problem
Many thanks for the help

As you may have guessed my name is Rodger.
I

Tom Mann

Guru
Good luck! However, I still recommend Googling the specific make and model of your TV and download the instruction manual / specs. Being aware of what is permitted and what is not could save you a lot of time.

BTW, if I had to guess the source of the problem, the very last thing I would guess from the items in my list would be the Adobe RGB vs sRGB issue. IMHO, that's a fairly long shot.

If you like to do experiments instead of looking things up in the spec sheet, why don't you take a image file that you know displays properly and then do things to the file name like pre-pend an underscore; introduce a space; make the length much longer, etc. etc. If one of these changes causes the file not to display, you will know what did it.

BTW, over the decades that I've used Photoshop, I have heard a lot of complaints about problems that arise when Adobe updates Photoshop. I've never heard of any problem associated with any of the last several updates that produces JPG file incompatibilities. (... you are feeding the TV jpgs, aren't you?). This is why I as leaning so heavily towards it being a requirement that the TV is imposing that normal file viewing software doesn't require.

Anyway, just my $0.02,

Tom M

Last edited: