What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preparing picture to be printed

sherry

My Client ask me to take a picture of his 10 acre farm which I did with a drone using mapping software. I merged 70 pictures in photoshop, and the picture was great, but my two problems are, the file was over 2 gigs and it won't save it, and I'm new to photoshop and I'm wondering if I need to make adjustments so he can print a 36x24 picture from it? I signed up for the photoshop/Lightroom bundle. It came with photoshop cc 2015.5

gedstar

Guru
Hi Sherry and welcome to PSD

About saving large files in PS
Photoshop supports documents up to 300,000 pixels in either dimension and offers three file formats for saving documents with images having more than 30,000 pixels in either dimension. Keep in mind that most other applications, including versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS, cannot handle files larger than 2 GB or images exceeding 30,000 pixels in either dimension.
Choose File > Save As, and choose one of the following file formats:
Large Document Format (PSB)
Supports documents of any file size. All Photoshop features are preserved in PSB files (though some plug-in filters are unavailable if documents exceed 30,000 pixels in width or height). Currently, PSB files are supported only by Photoshop CS and later.
Photoshop Raw
Supports documents of any pixel dimension or file size, but does not support layers. Large documents saved in the Photoshop Raw format are flattened.
TIFF
Supports files up to 4 GB in size. Documents larger than 4 GB cannot be saved in TIFF format.

Source
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html

sherry

Hi Sherry and welcome to PSD

About saving large files in PS
Photoshop supports documents up to 300,000 pixels in either dimension and offers three file formats for saving documents with images having more than 30,000 pixels in either dimension. Keep in mind that most other applications, including versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS, cannot handle files larger than 2 GB or images exceeding 30,000 pixels in either dimension.
Choose File > Save As, and choose one of the following file formats:
Large Document Format (PSB)
Supports documents of any file size. All Photoshop features are preserved in PSB files (though some plug-in filters are unavailable if documents exceed 30,000 pixels in width or height). Currently, PSB files are supported only by Photoshop CS and later.
Photoshop Raw
Supports documents of any pixel dimension or file size, but does not support layers. Large documents saved in the Photoshop Raw format are flattened.
TIFF
Supports files up to 4 GB in size. Documents larger than 4 GB cannot be saved in TIFF format.

Source
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html
Thank you very much for the reply! I will be giving him this picture on a flash drive I guess? Do I need to tell photoshop what dimension to make the picture?