What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mufasa7005

Hello,I am formerly a full time care giver for a family member and am now looking to reeducate and reinvent myself. I taught myself some basic Photoshop techniques using the free trial and tutorials provided by Adobe. I would like to learn all there is to know now. My search has turned up everything from a $15 course "guaranteed" to make me a Photoshop expert, to a $790 2-day live online course. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions I would appreciate your input.Thank you.

Rich54

Guru
There are hundreds of free tutorials out there. Google "Photoshop Tutorials" and see what catches your eye. Go to YouTube and search "Phlearn" --- he is very good. There is also Lynda.com, which I also like (they offer both free tutorials and ones you need to pay for). If you're interested in skin retouching do a Google search for Lee Varis and check out all of his tutorials. Personally, I like learning from books (yes, I'm old). When I first taught myself Photoshop I bought a manual ("The Missing Manual") and read it cover-to-cover three times just to get an overview of every tool and feature and what they all do. Even if you don't use half of them, you should at least know that they exist.

Mufasa7005

Thank you for the information you provided Rich54,I will certainly explore your recommendations.

Pipsmom

Guru
I've just started learning also a month ago...and the above list is excellent choices...

I lean heavily on Youtube tutorials, Phlearn (#1 choice), Linda.Com, and anything by Terry White....there are many more saved and I save them into folders in my library by subject...lighting, layers, etc.......
Also the book mentioned..The Missing Manual for forgetful senior moments :eek:

I find it extremely useful to have YouTube playing on the laptop and applying to tutorial in real time on the big desk top..Once a step is shown pause the video and apply the application...never skip a step..rewind and play it again and again to keep working on hard steps till you get it right before moving on.....If you don't you can never finish the project
Hard steps come back to haunt you later.....Just my two cents worth as Newby learning

Last edited: