What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long time photographer limited Photoshop experience

Sirduke

Hi, and thanks for having me.

My first experience with the Photo(editing)shop game was when A friend asked me to retouch his very endearing family photo. As a photographer I could not say no. But I had no experience in retouching so I contacted a Memphis great and legendary photographer Ernest Withers. He introduce me to what he called photo manipulation and editing. I'm not quite sure if it was Photoshop I believe it was prior to Photoshop's development. Long story short I have only use Photoshop sparingly because I believeD, foolishly, that photo manipulation was cheating. Oh but yes, I do understand that's only where competition is involved. Unless that competition permits Photoshop.

My friend was overwhelmed with the results, to say the least! We simply reproduced, created a color creative art photo from a black and white picture . I was hooked as well with the results we/HE created. So my friend gave me two more photos to edit. These were terrible Instamatic prints that needed total reconstruction. You can but barely see any white in the eyes. After years, I have use these as the motivation to learn the art of the edit, and I still have them. I never learned how to edit them. Yes, I can do simple things with Photoshop but photo reconstruction… ARTWORKS! With all of its features it was too overwhelming and my time didn't permit.

Fast forward… I put down my cameras, (sold my pro studio equipment) for Family calls and honeydews. I then picked up real estate and a night job. And now, after too many long hours on a job that I hate and after the boom and bust of Real estate. I have over the last couple years come back to my first love and I have reinvested in the Canon T4i, Nikon 610 Studio equipment and the entire Adobe suite CS6. (i'm very open if someone tell me how I can invest in an update to cc. I hate the subscriptions base. I'd rather purchase an upgrade)

But I am still an elementary level beginner at editing photos and videos. As stated earlier, too many long hours at work; though I'm close to retiring and want to get a grasp on photo and video manipulation. Now after all this time I just learned that you can click on the help menu in Photoshop and it will point to specific needs and menu items, just a few minutes ago watching a YouTube video. I don't know if this is specific to cc and cs6.

Pipsmom

Guru
:hi: And Welcome.
You'll love it here and the guru's point you in the right direction when things go wrong...Still learning PS also ...so your never alone :D

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Sirduke and welcome to PSG.

CS6 will get you through anything you need to do. I only recently upgraded to CC myself. Like you, I didn't care much for the subscription model so I fought it to the bitter end. I needed a new iMac so I broke down and upgraded. If I'm being honest, I'm glad I did! I really enjoy some of the newer features that have been added to CC. It was worth it to me, and I never thought I would hear myself say that.

Love the username..........I had a Boxer named SirDuke (of Earl) obviously from the song. The lyrics, "As I walk through this world, nothing can stop the Duke of Earl" best described the nature of that dog! I added the Sir prefix because I didn't want to call him just Duke.

Sirduke

LOL and MAO, well let's just say your ole duke has come back from whence he'd gone. And yes I am the Duke of Earl...Earl is my name, (the other way around is coined) :-(. And Stevie got the same name of his song from me, not! I added the Sir, when I related Earl as the nobleman, not doberman, LOL, you got me going on...
Yes, Ive been fighting the cc for a long time too. So I said, "when the student is ready the Teacher (CC) will appear, and I will get it. I have seen some of its new majic.

...and thanks for the candid response I just loved it, cause you hit the nail on the head...mine!

Sirduke

Looks like, I think I may have used the wrong reply button...I think I should have replied with quote as I am replying now. sorry
Hello Sirduke and welcome to PSG.

CS6 will get you through anything you need to do. I only recently upgraded to CC myself. Like you, I didn't care much for the subscription model so I fought it to the bitter end. I needed a new iMac so I broke down and upgraded. If I'm being honest, I'm glad I did! I really enjoy some of the newer features that have been added to CC. It was worth it to me, and I never thought I would hear myself say that.

Love the username..........I had a Boxer named SirDuke (of Earl) obviously from the song. The lyrics, "As I walk through this world, nothing can stop the Duke of Earl" best described the nature of that dog! I added the Sir prefix because I didn't want to call him just Duke.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, you can use either to add posts. The "reply with quote" is used more when your replying to something specific someone wrote.