What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

geek wanted, add on problem

fotograffiti

Power User
Cannot get rid of www.com. I set my home page to another but it keeps coming back.
It does not show in the add ons.
Unlike some other unwanted toolbars, it doesn"t show in the software.
It is a nuissance.
I asked for advice on the leading computer forum in Belgium but I think they have all fallen asleep.

please, anyone??

MrToM

Guru
No disrespect to Paul but I'd be EXTREMELY cautious with sites that only offer a 'download OUR software' fix.

In fact I'd say stay well clear of it.

More often than not these so-called 'Fix' downloads are no more than just a fake search for viruses in an attempt to get you to buy their software....which usually does no more, often less, than any FREE anti-virus readily available from reputable companies.

What OS and browser are you using?
What Anti-Virus do you use? (Get rid of it as it obviously doesn't work! LOL)

An 'industry standard' for malware, adware, viruses, trojans, worms, sniffers, loggers, backdoors, ransomware, BHO's etc etc is:

MALWAREBYTES

Read any 'virus' related article and more than likely this will be mentioned....and with good reason...it works.

If you are on a PC I can go into other things you can try, If you use a Mac then I'm afraid I'm pretty useless to you.

Regards.
MrTom.

fotograffiti

Power User
Tom, I'm on a PC, windows 7. I have a free version of AVG and Malwarebytes, anti Malware (which I got After the infection) (and which indicates now that my trial has expired...)

It is true that many sites offer a "free" solution that in the end turns out not so very free. It detects your problems but doesn't solve them unless you buy the software.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Tom, I'm on a PC, windows 7. I have a free version of AVG and Malwarebytes, anti Malware (which I got After the infection) (and which indicates now that my trial has expired...)

Ok, you may not have unchecked the option to trial the PRO version of MalwareBytes when you installed it... it may just be that which has expired?

No matter...
You should still have the 'Free' version anyway, On my system its default location is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

[NOTE: If you use the latest version it will be missing the apostrophe after MalwareBytes]

The file to run is mbam.exe (32 bit)

If it will let you, update Malwarebytes.
The new default install location is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

[NOTE: The update actually creates a new folder, same name as before but minus the apostrophe....and it will empty (but not delete) the old folder.

If you want, completely uninstall Malwarebytes, download the new version and install it....it won't hurt...just remember to UNCHECK the option for the PRO TRIAL.

It should install to the folder mentioned above....without the apostrophe.

When you run it its best to disconnect from the internet, (or disable the LAN card), AND disable your anti-virus.
Some anti-virus will prevent changes to the registry where most malware will hide...which is why you can't find it, and for MalwareBytes to Quarantine any infections it needs access to the registry.

Try that first and we'll take it from there.

It is true that many sites offer a "free" solution that in the end turns out not so very free. It detects your problems but doesn't solve them unless you buy the software.

Absolutely!

What better way to get your money from you than to claim a 'Fix All' solution.
Most of this software 'Fakes' the results in an attempt to fool you into thinking you have more problems than you actually do.....the 'trial' software will probably claim 100's of problems that need 'fixing' but will only 'fix' them if you pay for it.

Inevitably the software will do more than any FREE software, but by the time you realise it they've got your cash! (And couldn't care less about your problems neither!)

There is some software that will actually INSTALL viruses ONTO your system!
What better way to spread a virus than to attach it to software that claims to remove viruses? (Or not in reality)....AND you PAID FOR IT!

Nasty people are sneaky beyond belief.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS. You still didn't tell me which browser you use....and that's where the problem is isn't it? :rofl:

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, a few months ago, I visited a friend, who, within 2 minutes of greeting us, told me that all the browsers on her laptop had been hijacked. Unfortunately, I don't remember which hijack it was, but I want to point out to you that programs such as Malwarebytes sometimes (often?) don't work.

When I began to check out my friend's machine, the first thing I did was to install Malwarebytes. It said nothing was wrong. I then installed Super Anti-Spyware on her machine and ran it. That program also couldn't find anything (nor did scans by Eset or Windows Defender). To make a long story short, I wound up having to manually (in safe mode) remove the offending files, fix several registry entries, etc.

Bottom line, Foto, Malwarebytes is a very reasonable first approach, but if it doesn't work, don't be surprised if you have to use the methods described in the various discussions you will find by doing the Google search that I recommended.

Tom M
(...not to be confused with MrTom, LOL).

MrToM

Guru
Awww.....thats a bit unfair....I haven't finished yet!

My approach is similar to fixing a fuse.....no point in replacing the fuse until you find out what caused it to blow.

Using MalwareBytes is just the beginning, its easy to use, and Fotograffiti is familiar with it.

Just taking baby steps....ya know?

Regards.
MrTom.

(...not to be confused with Tom, LOL).

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I had this happen on two of my store computers (PC's). The fix was a simple about:config change in Firefox.

MrToM

Guru
You're right Sam, but what if that is just fixing the 'fuse'..?

What's to say it wont happen again?

Something must have changed it, and we need to find out what.
Not only that but what if that's not all its doing?

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

fotograffiti

Power User
PS. You still didn't tell me which browser you use....and that's where the problem is isn't it? :rofl:

oops, didn't notice that, I use FF

I ran both avg and Malware and had nasty visitors removed but the home page still creeps up on me.

I looked on Google different times but I always found solutions that didn't work.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your absolutely right, but most browser hompage redirects are simply just that. It never hurts to err on the side of caution though.

MrToM

Guru
oops, didn't notice that, I use FF
Cool...in which case that makes it a wee bit easier....I do too.

I ran both avg and Malware and had nasty visitors removed but the home page still creeps up on me.

Well, you're running ahead of me here.....did the MalwareBytes report have anything in it relating to 'www.com?'
If so, where was it?
A file?
The registry?

Did it quarantine everything it found?
Did you save the report?
Can you post the report?

You could try as Sam said and change the homepage back to what you want via the about:config but without knowing if the cause has been found and dealt with there is no guarantee it'll not change again....probably when you re-start FF.

How to:
Method #1: Tools > Options > General change homepage.

Method #2:
Type about:config in the address bar of FF...hit enter or whatever.
Accept the 'dragon' warning...if you get one.
You'll see a search bar at the top.....type: 'www.com'
The list should filter out everything not containing 'www.com'

At least one of the items left should be:
browser.startup.homepage

Double click this (or right click and choose 'Modify'), and change it to what you want.

If there are any more entries with that text in it make a note of them and post them here.....unless its blatantly obvious what they are in which case change or delete them as you see fit.
If you are unsure post the affected preferences here.

See how that goes.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
...browser hompage redirects are simply just that...

I'd say it was a little more sophisticated than a re-direct....normally the preferences are changed which means the original homepage is never requested...so no re-direct.

These things normally manifest from the registry, with a second 'version' hiding somewhere else checking that you haven't found and deleted it....when you do it spawns itself and you're back to square one.

If you don't get all the 'parts' the 'whole' re-creates itself from what's left.....did I mention these things are super sneaky!

Anyway, lets see how fotograffiti gets on....I hope you're right, I really do...but I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit....its the only way to be sure.

Regards.
MrTom.

fotograffiti

Power User
Method #2:
Type about:config in the address bar of FF...hit enter or whatever.
Accept the 'dragon' warning...if you get one.
You'll see a search bar at the top.....type: 'www.com'
The list should filter out everything not containing 'www.com'

At least one of the items left should be:
browser.startup.homepage

Double click this (or right click and choose 'Modify'), and change it to what you want.

not working, or maybe I should restart the computer.
Now, in the options, I changed the home page to "open last tabs", that might help for the time being.

I also looked in the regedit, but can't find anything (my knowledge is intermediate)

Time for a fresh installation ;)

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Since your using FF, reset it to it's default state. .... HELP>TROUBLESHOOTING INFORMATION .... on the page Click the Reset to Default. The reset will maintain your Bookmarks and you'll have to re-install your plugins. But best is your home page reverts to FF homepage default.

Delete the backup folder created on your desktop.

Tom Mann

Guru
Foto: "...I also looked in the regedit, but can't find anything (my knowledge is intermediate)..."

What did you search on?

Tom M

Hoogle

Guru
You will probably find it creates a registry file which sets the home page each time you launch your infected browser. This is why companies like malwarebytes launched anti root kit
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/

malware is getting more and more sophisticated when removing complicated spyware/malware this is the stages I do (trust me I try not to do all of it if i dont have too but it generally works 95% of the time and this is what i pretty much spend my day doing virus/alware removal )

download and run steve Gould clean up it is an old tool but does a vey good job even works with windows 8
direct download as soon as link is clicked.
http://stevengould.org/downloads/cleanup/CleanUp452.exe

Do not run it in demo mode and no need to log off once it has completed as it will not serve the purpose as malware in temp files will reload on a relog

This itself is not a spyware or virus removal tool it does however clear all your temporary files a place where many naughty bits of malware tends to hide and wait

never really seen much benefit to this stage but it cant hurt run ccleaner available at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download run cleaner and check everything
then on the next tab registry scan and fix all issues

now lets start looking at malware removal
download and launchas admin ADWCLEANER found here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/
once again a direct download link I am doing this in case you are having redirects from malware and dont want you accidentally downloading further malware

Run it as administrator and then after scan just click clean and reboot computer. now you can also run malwarebytes as well as that often finds stuff left over from ADW brutal approach to removal

test internet browser

still having problems ??
go to your browser and reset all settings back to default and change your home page to www.google.com or another trusted site

go to control panel select internet options . set your home page I know this is mainly for internet explorer but whilst your here you will check an advanced setting which can carry over to all browsers under the connections tab select lan settings at the bottom and check the box automatically detect settings the top box if the bottom box is checked use a proxy server then that is likely to be the problem.

ok that and save

test browser if you still get problems then you can go more advanced go to device manager and uninstall and adapters under network that are not the 2 main 1s usually wireless and ethernet. Some antiviruses also install some so be careful. Also they may not show up in normal mode so may require a reboot into safe mode. It is normal to have 4-6 adapters visible by microsoft in safe mode but rarely ever seen unless a problem is there with the adapter.

You can also uninstall your main network drivers and restart your computer and they will reinstall that can fix a lot of problems.

If you are still getting problems then it is time to step up your game

download hitman pro http://get.hitmanpro.com/ very good software however downside is it is only free for 30 days and once trial is used cant be used again without purchasing it unless you do a clean install of windows (and I am not sharing otherways)

you may want to also use the usb boot kickstart version as well available at the bottom left of the application when launched it lets you boot into windows in a special mode and will clear any unauthorised startup applications etc.

you really shouldnt need to do anything else but I will keep going just incase

Uninstall firefox/chrome the effected browsers and make sure you delete temp files and the program folder after it has been uninstalled also make sure you have the setup application somewhere to hand in case you are left without an internet browser

system restore I dont like doing it but it has helped me out a few times and it is simple to rollback your system a couple of days

google netsh reset not stating anymore on this as if done wrong you can make life very bad for your computer, but follow a good tut and you will be fne

there is more options but to tired to go into more for now.

Tom Mann

Guru
Absolutely superb list, Hoogle!

Also, for those reading this thread, let me re-state the obvious: If you have (1) a good, current image backup of your OS and programs drive, and (2) a good, current file-level backup of your data, you can usually bypass all of the above steps and, in a very short period of time, simply revert your computer to the exact state it was in before it became infected. This is a tremendous time-saver and relief from all the heartache and uncertainty that accompanies a virus or other infection. I can't overemphasize the importance of having such backups.

Tom M

fotograffiti

Power User
sorry, but I don't understand all this

go to control panel select internet options . set your home page I know this is mainly for internet explorer but whilst your here you will check an advanced setting which can carry over to all browsers under the connections tab select lan settings at the bottom and check the box automatically detect settings the top box if the bottom box is checked use a proxy server then that is likely to be the problem.

ok that and save

test browser if you still get problems then you can go more advanced go to device manager and uninstall and adapters under network that are not the 2 main 1s usually wireless and ethernet. Some antiviruses also install some so be careful. Also they may not show up in normal mode so may require a reboot into safe mode. It is normal to have 4-6 adapters visible by microsoft in safe mode but rarely ever seen unless a problem is there with the adapter.

You can also uninstall your main network drivers and restart your computer and they will reinstall that can fix a lot of problems.