What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look at this superb logo...

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I was browsing for needed equipment the other day when I came across this site and it's logo......

sonos-logo-ep.jpg

I found it unassuming at first until I started scrolling down the page and I noticed it pulsated with what looks like sound waves - but this ain't no animation gif... it's a jpg.

RADICAL COOL!!!!!!!

After studying it in detail, all I can say is whoever designed it is a genius......

Looks like fun.... I gotta try figure this one out..... :cheesygrin:

edit.... with a bit of research, I found out it was a "LUCKY DESIGN ACCIDENT" ....

OK... the designer's a lucky genius.... lol.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Thats the 'Moire' effect......the 'misalignment' of the pixels in the image with the pixels in your monitor.

Search for 'Moire'....it'll answer all your questions.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Thats the 'Moire' effect......the 'misalignment' of the pixels in the image with the pixels in your monitor.

Search for 'Moire'....it'll answer all your questions.

Regards.
MrTom.

I agree it has something to do with moire. But there's more to it than meets the eye. On closeup, the "spokes" have what looks like circular color lines possibly from layered rings grouped/linked clipped into them. This creates the "soundwave" illusion and amplified, so to speak, by the moire effect on a monitor.

The line shapes (or color artifacts of sorts) form curves which is most noticeable in the center below the company name.....

LOL... reminds of the effect you see in the old 60's The Green Hornet end credits.....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The sectioning has something to do with the effect. Very cool dv8!

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 11.10.00 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep........if you look at the gradation of colors on the lines of each section, these are what cause the pulsating moire effect.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Even if created by accident, all in all, it's a unique, clever website logo which makes use of a monitor's characteristics. A-1 in my book......

And a good trick to add to one's PS arsenal. Not that one has to re-create the same look for use on a logo design. That would be copycat.

But with modification, one may achieve a fresh, different visual effect - be it a logo or other visual graphics......

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
LOL..... with my present work activity, I don't even have time or the energy to clean out my computer room....

Watcha say, LiZad? Wannanewlook?

LiZad - "ya, bos.... I want the Green Hornet effect..... "

dv8 - "you're gonna drive me nuts from figuring it out, you slave-driving reptile"......

I was browsing for needed equipment the other day when I came across this site and it's logo......

View attachment 53159

I found it unassuming at first until I started scrolling down the page and I noticed it pulsated with what looks like sound waves - but this ain't no animation gif... it's a jpg.

RADICAL COOL!!!!!!!

After studying it in detail, all I can say is whoever designed it is a genius......

Looks like fun.... I gotta try figure this one out..... :cheesygrin:

edit.... with a bit of research, I found out it was a "LUCKY DESIGN ACCIDENT" ....

OK... the designer's a lucky genius.... lol.

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/system
What is Sonos?
Sonos is a smart system of HiFi wireless speakers and audio components.

This logo here is the app for my iphone to control the system.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/system
What is Sonos?
Sonos is a smart system of HiFi wireless speakers and audio components.

This logo here is the app for my iphone to control the system.

Yup, that's their new logo, chris. But I don't think you'll find that in their site yet. I came across the logo at another consumer's site.....

And it truly portrays the company's product branding....

chrisdesign .... does it seem to pulsate when viewed on your iphone?

The logo doesn't pulsate, this is just an illusion to our eyes, a moiré effect caused by the screen you look at, as MrT and Sam mentioned in there answers.
To answer your question df8_fx: The pulsating effect is more or less the same on my iPhone or on my iMac 27" monitor here in my home.

iDesign

Brilliant, but wouldn't I be right to say it's not a logo?

It's a banner if you ask me, but a cool one!