What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Hey guys,

It's the 29th of July, as you probably know, I've been looking forward to this day for lord knows how long now, as it's the day I can finally be rid of windows 8.1.

I don't know about you guys, but my windows 8.1 has slowly been getting slower and slower with several bugs, including the get windows 10 (GWX) software taking up 40% of my CPU when checking it's availability, to which Microsoft's 'customer support' put down to a virus (which was actually punkbuster anti cheat software), and just these past few days it takes 10 minutes before I can actually load an application, and that's with regular software AND hardware maintenance. and lets not start with the painfully slow loading times of task manager.

I'll admit 8.1 was okay, in the beginning, I was an odd bodd who actually liked the interface, but it did start to become the epitome of tedium eventually.

I've heard of some significant performance improvements with window's 10's new DirectX on AMD hardware at least, so it will be interesting to see how that pans out on my PC later on today seeing as my PC runs an AMD CPU and GPU.

but otherwise, I'm taking the plunge early, might as well see what it's about, i just can't wait to see the back of windows 8.1...

what about you guys, any fellow early adopters?

hawkeye

Guru
I have Windows 7 Pro on my main PC and after using 8.1 on my laptop, I have no intention of switching it. I find 8.1 very annoying and rather cumbersome to use. I find this new trend of hiding everything and making the user search is very annoying.

So I will switch the laptop and hope for improvement. The question is whether to do it now or wait until most (they never get them all) of the bugs are sorted out.

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm very conservative, and since my installation of 8.1 seems to be working without a hitch, I'll probably wait till 10.1 comes out and fixes all the currently unknown bugs in 10.0 before I install it.

T

Tom Mann

Guru
"...I find this new trend of hiding everything and making the user search is very annoying..."

hawkeye - I couldn't agree more. Like you, I absolutely HATE this trend. Like other UI tweaks Microsoft has done in Office, these changes are actually making computers more difficult to use, not easier, for people who use them every day for their work, and it's questionable if it even helps more casual users, which is their presumed goal.

Tom

Paul MR

The Script Master
I tried the update TWICE and it failed twice with error code C1900101
Not trying again so staying with windows 7.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
C1900101 is a driver error, are all of your drivers compatible with windows 10?

Paul MR

The Script Master
That I wouldn't know if Windows 10 can support some of the communication programs installed on this machine, there are a few com ports/drivers that in might not like.
Better staying safe with an OS that I know that works with the programs I need to run.
I might try with another machine that doesn't have these programs.

MrToM

Guru
Absolutely not!

As if 8 and 8.1 weren't bad enough Microsoft now throw this little gem into the mix...AS DEFAULT!!!

no_thanks_MT_01.png

Peer-to-Peer updates?
Seriously?

Think I'll leave Windows 10 to the kids....they won't give two hoots what they are unwittingly sharing.

Regards.
MrToM.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
heh, i don't mind it on local networks as my PC doesn't move but yeah, that's a massive vulnerability if i've ever seen one.

hawkeye

Guru
I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and frankly I don't see much of an improvement. Even just customizing notifications, which used to be really simple, now requires you to click:

Start
Settings
System
Notifications & Actions
Select which items Appear in the notification area

Paul

Former Member
And you have to pay for solitaire, the cheek of the company :rofl: