What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True Colour Monitor

BriniaSona

I'm a broke ass former student with college debt. I am looking for a cheap monitor that is colour accurate. I bought a LED Monitor, but the blacks are too black and some dark colours blend together on the monitor. Great for cinema and gaming, not so good for Illustrator and Photoshop.

Any suggestions,

150 CAD to 200 CAD range. I wish I had the money for a 1K$ Monitor.

Tom Mann

Guru
In that price range, the color fidelity of monitors varies all over the place -- both from model to model, and even from one individual monitor to the next one of exactly the same model. In other words, the quality control isn't really adequate for pro level color critical work. You might even be able to find a monitor for even less that performs quite well, but the question is, "How would you know?". Monitors in that price range are a lot like going into Best Buy, or other big store with a wall full of TVs, and they you notice that they all look different with respect to colors, brightness, contrast, etc.

So, here's my oddball suggestion: Instead of buying a monitor in the price range you stated, put some of that money towards a hardware color calibration system. Specifically, one whose software tells you how accurate the colors and brightness levels are on any particular monitor both before and after calibration. A very good hardware calibrator is this one: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...61&acd=12309152537461010&ven1=sSKcuqCfv&ven2=,

Next, buy a really cheap (eg, $50) monitor, take it home, calibrate it, and see if you can get either the average or maximum error to be less than 1 (in "E" units). If the first monitor you buy isn't capable of being brought into reasonable calibration, return it, and pick out another to try. Repeat until you find one that can be brought into good calibration. At least this way, you know exactly how good your monitor really is (ie, instead of relying on suggestions by unknown internet "experts"), AND you'll be able to recalibrate the one you settle on as frequently as needed.

Just a thought,

Tom M