What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tom Mann

Guru
Well, it's over, and we are all fine. The snow finally stopped about 9 PM last night (Saturday).

It's now a bit after sunrise on Sunday morning, and we haven't yet ventured outside to start to dig out, but I've received several emails and messages asking how we were, so I thought I would post some pix taken out our front door and looking out at a 4.5 to 5 foot ( 1.4 - 1.5 meter) drift right in front of our garage door. BTW, the car on the right in one of the photos is a small, two door sedan and the snow on top is at least a couple of feet over my head.

Official, un-drifted snow totals were about 30 inches in our area (about half way between Washington and Baltimore), and 40+ inches ( ~ 1 m.) just to the west of us in areas near the Appalachian Trail where we often hike. In fact, we had an outing planned for this weekend, but canceled it for safety reasons (steep slopes, unconsolodated snow, access roads closed). Quite a bit different from the photos I took in that area last weekend on a hike - eek!

More pix to come ...if I'm not too tired from shoveling and decide to take a walk or XC ski around the neighborhood.

Tom M

Attachments

• IMG_1373_nef-LR_jpg_low_rez_698px_wide.jpg
    IMG_1373_nef-LR_jpg_low_rez_698px_wide.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1374-LR_to_full_rez_sRGB_jpg-acr-ps01a-01_698_px_wide.jpg
    IMG_1374-LR_to_full_rez_sRGB_jpg-acr-ps01a-01_698_px_wide.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1379_nef-LR_jpg_low_rez_698px_wide.jpg
    IMG_1379_nef-LR_jpg_low_rez_698px_wide.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 29
  • snow_totals.jpg
    snow_totals.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow Tom, that's incredible. I had reason to worry about you guys.

Our past blizzard of 13 inches seems minuscule in comparison. Had we received as much accumulation as you guys have, life around here would have ceased to exist. My hope is that you folks in states that do receive higher annual snowfall amounts are much better prepared to cope.

Snow blowers, snow plows, snow chains, etc., do not exist here!

Keep the photos coming if you happen to get out in that mess!

Paul

Former Member
A bit of snow and the free world grinds to a halt:rofl:

Tom Mann

Guru
Wow Tom, that's incredible. I had reason to worry about you guys. Our past blizzard of 13 inches seems minuscule in comparison. Had we received as much accumulation as you guys have, life around here would have ceased to exist. My hope is that you folks in states that do receive higher annual snowfall amounts are much better prepared to cope. Snow blowers, snow plows, snow chains, etc., do not exist here! Keep the photos coming if you happen to get out in that mess!
Thanks for your concern, Sam. Yeah, this was certainly a doozie. I've lived in the DC area since the early 1970's, and this is the most snow that I remember ever coming down in one storm. They are reasonably well equipped with snow handling equipment here, but nothing like in the area that I grew up in, upper NY state. It will probably take till Wednesday to get completely back to normal. The real problem here is not the snow clearing gear, but that almost no one has any experience driving in snow, don't even have snow tires, etc.

I spent the day shoveling the driveway and then, with a couple of other guys, shoveling the neighborhood street to the point where it intersects a through street that had been plowed so that our daughter could get to her ED tech job at the hospital. It was certainly a good workout day for an old guy like me, LOL. After that, there as an absolutely beautiful sunset, but I just didn't have any energy left to take pix. Maybe tomorrow.

OMG.... each to their own they say.... you have your snowstorms, we have our typhoons. Hope all is well with you and no damage sustained to your properties.
Hi Vee - You're right, I grew up in snow, taught downhill skiing for many years, and probably wouldn't survive for a week in the tropics or in a typhoon. Fortunately, even with the 50+ mph winds, we didn't personally sustain any damage, and in general, the damage in this area was much lighter than it could have been from a storm of this size.

Looks like a winter wonder land....or a a living hell. Guess it depends on who you ask.
. Hi Hershy - I must admit that I used to love winter, winter sports, winter photography, etc., but as I've gotten older, it's lost a bit of it's appeal. Maybe it was a sign that I should quit when the webbing on my old snowshoes started to come apart within minutes of putting them on, LOL.

More later, guys.

Tom M

Paul

Former Member
Sweltering over here again, though we had showers with thunder yesterday:cheesygrin: