What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draw or draw, or both?

Helios

Both - I often start by sketching a rough draft on paper, then scanning that and working it up digitally. As much as I love my graphics tablet, I still just find it easier to draw with an actual pencil when I'm trying things out.
And then I also have a version of my art that I can always fall back to, should serious data loss ever occur - ie my PC goes, and my backup, and my OTHER backup... oh gods! *Makes more backups*

Paul

Former Member
Yeah very different animals pencil/paper to digital approach. Keep going it does get easier.

Burned Ice

Power User
I do both, first thumbnailing and iterations, then maybe a lineart then in photoshop. Not that I'm very good at it

Eggy

Retired Moderator
For a composite I make a blank layer and draw roughly the main outlines of what I have in mind.

peta62

Guru
I cannot draw anything with pencil, I am terrible painter, so I usually take a photograph and work with it if needed or if I have some idea.

My ideas manifeste themselves in my head first. I see something like a sketch composite if I close my eyes.
Then I beginn my work with Photoshop.