What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hershy314

Guru
The other day I was in St Louis to see my DR for my yearly heart check up. I was expecting to hear that while one valve is leaking I'm still doing good. Well that wasn't the case. I have to go back on July 27th for a cardiac cath. and a t.e.e (don't ask what that is cause I don't know.....google t.e.e test). Depending on what those two tests show I may or may not need another heart surgery in the near future.

Argos

Guru
Really sorry to hear that, i hope the results come back clear.

Regards and good luck.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I hope things turn out well for you Andrew. While you may not like the tests, they are far better than the alternative. It's much better to identify problems and make repairs before anything more serious develops. Good luck!

Transesophageal Echocardiogram (TEE)

Hi Andrew,
In my thoughts I am with you, and wish you good deal of strength and confidence for your future.

Regards
Chris

Tom Mann

Guru
Sam hit the nail on the head when he essentially said that while people never want to hear that they need a cardiac workup, the alternatives, i.e., avoiding the tests and having a full blown heart attack, congestive heart failure, a major arrhythmia, etc. could end your life or so disable you so badly that you would lose your mobility and freedom.

Cardiac medicine has made tremendous strides over the past few decades. Have the tests and any procedures that your physicians suggest. You'll be glad that you did and it will take a weight off of your shoulders and that of your family.

The best of luck in this. Please keep us posted. We'll be rooting for you!

Tom M

hershy314

Guru
Oh I'm not going to avoid these tests at all. The Cardiac cath. I've had done a few times before, hell I was awake for one of them. That was trippy, let me tell ya. The t.e.e test I've never had done, but from what I've been told it's not that bad. Guess I'll find out when I go back on the 27th.

hershy314

Guru
Went in for my T.E.E and Cardiac Cath. done today. The results were not what I was hoping for. Sometime this year in either late August or early September I will be having open heart surgery again. My DR feels that it's not a good idea to wait much longer and wants to get it done soon as possible. To be honest I am scared, but really I have nothing to worry about.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Andrew, I would say I'm sorry to hear the news but I'm really not. If your condition requires surgical intervention, then I would much rather you underwent another procedure if it means saving your life. Having assisted on literally thousands of open heart procedures in my career, it's easy for me to say that you should be a little apprehensive, but your right, you have noting to worry about. Whether it's valve replacement or a leaflet repair, I can assure you that the procedures are extremely routine and the surgeons and the whole surgical team have them down to a fine art.

Here's to wishing you well and good luck. Keep us informed.

Tom Mann

Guru
I second everything Sam just said. Get it over with and use your recovery period to play with Photoshop and become even more proficient at it than you already are.

Let us know when you are going to have the procedure.

Cheers,

Tom M

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Sorry to hear about your condition.
On the other hand, doing nothing is not an option.

My younger brother, 58 years old, had a quadruple bypass with open sternum last year. He was back home after five days!
Now he's jumping around like nothing happened.

Good luck

Last edited:

hershy314

Guru
I talked to the surgeon who did my fist open heart surgery cause I felt more comfortable having him do it. Well he explained something to me that my cardiologist failed to tell me. I knew one of the valves in my heart was leaking, but what I didn't know is that the valve that's leaking has a tear in it. I have no idea how that could of happened. They wont know till they cut me open. Kinda scary really. I still don't know when I'll have the surgery, they wont do it unless I get some kind of coverage. I am waiting to hear about my medicaid to see if that finally went through. I've been turned down a few times for that, apparently having a condition that can kill you doesn't make you disabled, or something. I don't understand how this crap works. The surgeon did tell me that if my symptoms get worse to get my ass back up here and they'd schedule the surgery. I should hear something about my medicaid in a couple weeks, I should last that long.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am waiting to hear about my medicaid to see if that finally went through. I've been turned down a few times for that, apparently having a condition that can kill you doesn't make you disabled, or something. I don't understand how this crap works. I should hear something about my medicaid in a couple weeks, I should last that long.

Medicaid and SS or SSI Disability (Medicare) are all different. Qualifying for Medicaid has nothing to do with having a disability. I'm a bit confused, are you trying to get SS or SSI Disability? A repairable heart condition should not qualify you for disability. Just trying to make sense of what your reporting here.

hershy314

Guru
The thing is my heart condition isn't really fixable. I will always have some kind of problem. When I had my last surgery I had two valves leaking, this time it's only one. Who's to say that the other valve wont go bad. Even if I get this mechanical valve I still can't do all the things that other people can do, such as play sports or anything that will get my heart pumping real fast. I am trying to get my SSI disability, which will help me get my medicaid. All this surgery is going to do is expand my life span.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Even if I get this mechanical valve I still can't do all the things that other people can do, such as play sports or anything that will get my heart pumping real fast. I am trying to get my SSI disability, which will help me get my medicaid. All this surgery is going to do is expand my life span.
Well I wish you good luck. Please hear me as I'm purely advocating since I don't have all the facts, not being able to play sports or having limitations on strenuous activity does not mean you can't live a productive working life. Having seen and been involved with many cases of this type, I would be surprised if they give you disability. I hope they do.

hershy314

Guru
I found out when my surgery is going to be. I'll be goin in on September 15th. The Doctor's office called medicaid and they told them to go ahead and schedule the surgery, so I'm guessing the medicaid is going to go through. Or they want to screw with me, but I need to go through the surgery regardless. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I'm not scared though, having gone through this before I know what the risks are. I'll be in the hospital 5-7 days, recovery will take a few months.

hershy314

Guru
Ok so a little update. I have not had my surgery yet, woke up the day before leaving for my surgery with a swollen jaw, ended up have a few teeth that were infected. So had to cancel the surgery. Last month I went in front of a medicaid hearing cause once again I was denied. Just yesterday I got a letter saying the ruling was reversed and I'm now covered by Medicaid. In the letter it says that I am permanently and completely disabled. Now that I've got that taken care of, I'm taking the next step to getting better. Monday I'm calling the dentist back and seeing when I'll get my dental problems taken care of, then I'll have my surgery soon after. Still waiting to hear about my SSI, but if Medicaid says that I'm disabled, shouldn't be any reason SSI would say differently. But let's be honest, my luck is never that good.