What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pointer to Image Sharing Site with specific features

thebestcpu

Guru
I have a need where:
1) I can share only a specific album of ~100 to 200 images to a friend
2) Have the friend sort these images by their desirability thru manual reordering (drag and drop)
3) Export the images with a sequential number prefix so the files names will preserve the manual sort order.

You could do this in Picasa yet I see no way to do this in Google Photos.

Basically I need a remote person (who has virtually no computer skills) to be able to easily sort/prioritize images and have that sort order available to me electronically. If there are other easy ways to do this, any advice would be appreciated.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope. :)

Thanks in advance

John Wheeler

colleague

Guru
maybe he can make a list for you with the image-names and the re-ordening number
(in exel-sheet or manual written)
if it can be an exel-sheet , you can make a script for the renaming

thebestcpu

Guru
maybe he can make a list for you with the image-names and the re-ordering number
(in exel-sheet or manual written)
if it can be an exel-sheet , you can make a script for the renaming

Thanks colleague. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Without finding a totally automated way to get the list I was gravitating to a semiautomatic way.

Your thoughts spurred me to this solution:
- Use a image sharing site that allows both custom ordering and can display the filename as well
- I simply rename the files before uploading as 1 to 200
- After the friend uses the drag and drop feature to order by their own priority, take your approach and have the friend write down the filenames (which are just numbers 1 to 200) in the order as they appear on their custom sorted screen. This friend does not have excel yet I can certainly take any list they create and import it into Excel for processing.

So your thoughts were very helpful and I will very likely use the approach you suggested. I appreciate the time you took to respond to this unusually request for information.

thebestcpu

Guru
Have your friend download this free program; http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

He can download your images, view them in FastStone, and move them manually into any
order by drag and drop and then re-number them in FastStone in the order he's chosen.
It's a very simple program that I've used for years.

Thanks TonyCooper
Unfortunately, loading and learning a new program is beyond the skills of my friend. Thanks for the pointer though. I might give it a look for other uses yet would need to run it in a Virtual Win OS on my Mac since it is Windows only software.

Tom Mann

Guru
I know I'm late to this discussion, but what software does your friend feel confident using? Picasa? Excel? The graphical file manager in either Windows or on a Mac? Etc.

Cheers,

Tom M