What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you send images to people?

Noz03

As amazing as it is... somehow there is a massive percentage of people who can't seem to open up .zip files... Most of them are obviously on macs or smart phones, but still... cmon this is one of the most basic of file formats... Anyway. Is there any convenient way other than zipping files to send large numbers of images to someone? A way that everyone can easily get?

I am usually using ftp on my website to upload the files, I sometimes also use pcloud but prefer to keep it on ftp if I can.

MrToM

Guru
Would your "massive percentage of people who can't seem to open up .zip files" be able to run an executable?

If so, how about a self-extracting RAR file....which has an .exe extension.

Just a thought.

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
My favorites are:
Dropbox and
https://wetransfer.com/ ...

Or most of the large file transfer services listed in:
http://www.techradar.com/news/10-best-ways-to-share-big-files
https://techreviewpro.com/free-large-file-sharing-tools-send-large-files-online-4575/
http://www.pcmag.com/article/343582/how-to-send-large-files

I don't especially like any of the photo oriented services like Flickr that open your image files so that they can be viewed and then downloaded at various smaller sizes. I don't like them because I want to retain complete control of the up and down-rez'ing of my files.

Tom Mann

Noz03

Hmm, wetransfer is definitely a nice website and will keep it in mind for the future. But unless I am misunderstanding something when you click "download all" it still downloads a zip file.

I was thinking to try self extracting files but thought it might get stopped by junkmail/email virus filters, might make people feel a little nervous, and also I'm not sure if they would also work on smart phones and apple products :/

I guess there is no other way though...

Maybe I just had a freak bit of bad luck having 3 people in the same week not able to open zip files... Including one CEO of a technology company... Kinda blows my mind but maybe they were just an exception.

Tom Mann

Guru
...But unless I am misunderstanding something when you click "download all" it still downloads a zip file. ...
That may be the case if you are transferring several files at once, but I don't really use WeTransfer in that way - I use FTP or Dropbox for clients to whom I need to send multiple files.

For single files, unless WeTransfer has changed something in the last week or two, this is not the case. I've transferred all types of (single) files (in addition to zipped files) using their service without any problem.

Tom M

Noz03

That may be the case if you are transferring several files at once, but I don't really use WeTransfer in that way - I use FTP or Dropbox for clients to whom I need to send multiple files.

For single files, unless WeTransfer has changed something in the last week or two, this is not the case. I've transferred all types of (single) files (in addition to zipped files) using their service without any problem.

Tom M

Yeah, I am realizing there isn't really any other way to send large numbers of files other than zip. Too many email providers don't allow more than so many MB attachments, and otherwise a browser would need to download 100 files one by one which I am sure it would mess up and lose some files :/ Gonna just have to stick to zips and teach people one by one how to open it.

Noz03

Just wondering... does anyone know if android and iphone can open self extracting zips(.exe)?

Noz03

Wetransfer is my option of choice, mainly because you click the link I email you and it opens a website that just says "download" - even my grandmother-in-law can manage it.

Well scOOt it seems your grandmother-in-law is smarter than this person I am currently trying to send photos to for several days. After failing to teach them how a zip file works I sent the wetransfer link, even explaining that he would need to click on each file one by one.... But still nothing... I'm literally at a dead end...

sc00t

Print them and post them to him haha.

:rofl:

I love client work!

Why don't you just do a remote desktop and download them for him that way?

Noz03

Print them and post them to him haha.

:rofl:

I love client work!

Why don't you just do a remote desktop and download them for him that way?

I can't even explain to him how to download a few jpegs... good luck explaining to him how to remote share his desktop haha