What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion On Photo And Date Stamp Manipulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sooperfly

Hello.

I am currently trying to prove some photos were manipulated, and a fake Date/Time Stamp was inserted into a series of Photos. Attached are some of the photos that were submitted with date stamps. By looking at these photos, you can clearly see the Date Stamps are not real, but I need verification from a real photographer with photo editing experience. I have more pictures if you'd like to see them, but didn't want to fill the entire thread with all of them.

This came from an uploaded PDF document, so I am unable to get the original EXIF Data, and that's why I'm here to get a professional opinion. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

antenna3_zpsicedknnj.jpg

antenna1_zpshrdw9qo7.jpg

antenna5_zpsoggjdojt.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

There's no doubt that these date stamps look a bit odd in the sense that in at least two of the photos, they are trying to "blend" with the image in which they are applied. The date stamps are all in the exact same location, the pixelation looks to be the same as the image in all three examples. The numbers used with the slashes is common for most devices date stamps. However, there's no way of determining if they have been faked as the "blended" anomaly could have been a function of the camera used to take the photos. I can't say for sure that these images have been altered

You would need to know the exact make of camera or phone that actually took the photos in order to observe and compare the devices methods of applying a date/time stamp to the images it produces.

sooperfly

Hello and welcome to PSG.

There's no doubt that these date stamps look a bit odd in the sense that in at least two of the photos, they are trying to "blend" with the image in which they are applied. The date stamps are all in the exact same location, the pixelation looks to be the same as the image in all three examples. The numbers used with the slashes is common for most devices date stamps. However, there's no way of determining if they have been faked as the "blended" anomaly could have been a function of the camera used to take the photos. I can't say for sure that these images have been altered

You would need to know the exact make of camera or phone that actually took the photos in order to observe and compare the devices methods of applying a date/time stamp to the images it produces.

I'm not really trying to prove the images themselves have been altered. I am just trying to point out that a Date Stamp can be inserted at any time and that this is a really bad job at doing so.

Take a good look at the date stamps. If you look on all 3 pictures, some of the outlines or colors inside of the outlines are missing on the picture, but they appear on another side of the picture.

Is it possible for that to happen at any point of taking the picture, scanning, or uploading that the outline or part of the date stamp itself show up on another completely different section of the picture itself?

For example, look at the picture with the satellite dish. If you look closely, the entire black outline is missing from the date stamp. However, the black outline appears on the dish in the middle of the picture. Has anyone ever seen that happen or is this just a bad photoshop job?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not really trying to prove the images themselves have been altered. I am just trying to point out that a Date Stamp can be inserted at any time and that this is a really bad job at doing so.
Do you think I didn't understand this?

sooperfly said:
Take a good look at the date stamps. If you look on all 3 pictures, some of the outlines or colors inside of the outlines are missing on the picture, but they appear on another side of the picture.
Again........I explained this to you. Just so you understand, this is what I was referring to as the "blending".

sooperfly said:
Is it possible for that to happen at any point of taking the picture, scanning, or uploading that the outline or part of the date stamp itself show up on another completely different section of the picture itself?
Yet again, I already explained this to you. It could have been a function of the camera.

sooperfly said:
For example, look at the picture with the satellite dish. If you look closely, the entire black outline is missing from the date stamp. However, the black outline appears on the dish in the middle of the picture. Has anyone ever seen that happen or is this just a bad photoshop job?
As I previously explained, this effect could have been a function of the camera. It could also be added with Photoshop............it's inconclusive and therefore I cant say if the images have been altered.

sooperfly

Do you think I didn't understand this?

Again........I explained this to you. Just so you understand, this is what I was referring to the "blending".

Yet again, I already explained this to you. It could have been a function of the camera.

As I previously explained, this effect could have been a function of the camera. It could also be added with Photoshop............it's inconclusive and therefore I cant say if the images have been altered.

OK Thanks.....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
sooperfly said:
Has anyone ever seen that happen........?
Yes, I have seen this effect in a time and date stamp effect on other images.

Status
Not open for further replies.