What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A journey to Photoshop...

Inkz

Guru
Just a conversation on what brought you to Photoshop?

For me, I only discovered Photoshop a year ago.
I've been able to draw ever since I could reach the walls lol. Then in school, good with art and IT but lacked in the important subject. After my schools day's I started work when I got a tattooists apprenticeship, never did tattoo anyone though, only done flash tracing for the tattooist. I forgot about art for along time after that, then I got into gaming and joined a forum that had a graphics section, so I started going there alot and realized most of the work wasn't done in MS Paint lol....

And that's how I discovered Photoshop.

What's your story?

Like you i could draw with pen and paper from a really early age, i then took my ability into local tattoo parlours and earned an apprenticeship with one of my very best friends to this date.

At the same time i started using Photoshop to resize and and make things fit certain arms/legs in a way i couldn't with just free hand tech. it gave my art a new dimension, and i became hooked, i don't tattoo anymore as e moved countries and gained new skills etc blah blah blah.
But shop as always been my backbone of things to do when not putting food on the table.

My journey with Photoshop started back when the first one came out, was Corel before that. I was a member of overclockers.co.uk and sigs were the thing there. Made loads and basically learned the basics there. Went onto repairing photo's and stuff that I took. As the online community thing grew I found myself uploading more and more images and again turned to Ps to do it right.

Website images then, learning to keep things small but acceptable quality was key. Started photography and again needed to edit, touch up images and used Ps.

Moved on to making custom textures for game map makers and also making decals for in game such as CS:S.

Only the past year of so have I moved up to the level I am now, lots of spare time due to illness and nothing but Ps to amuse myself so started watching tutorials on You-tube and went from there.

Would never be without it now :cool2:

Apart from the tattoo parlour stuff i found out about PS the same way as you mate, through a gaming forum which had a graphics section (would it be TTG by any chance the forum that you was on?) yeah it was more curiosity at the start but when i found out about the amount of stuff which you could do with photoshop i fell in love and the rest is all history

Apart from the tattoo parlour stuff i found out about PS the same way as you mate, through a gaming forum which had a graphics section (would it be TTG by any chance the forum that you was on?) yeah it was more curiosity at the start but when i found out about the amount of stuff which you could do with photoshop i fell in love and the rest is all history

Gaming communities I help develop/Forum/Server Admin/Gamer on were =GCHQ= / .Ps (Playstuff) / OG (Old Gamers) / LNC (Late Night Calm) OcUK (Over Clockers UK).
Was Admin on numerous Steam Servers too, as well as had RCON (Remote Admin) on many other Servers including Ventrillo/Teamspeak.
Gamer Tag is: Gramps.Ps/Chris|Gramps and Steam ID is CivicD :naughty:

TTG sounds familiar but not sure where from.

Photography.
I was heavy into B&W photography along with developing my film and making my own prints in my darkroom.

Lost interest for years until I got my first digital camera.
Slowly I evolved from a P&S camera and PS Elements 2 to my current Canon DSLR and lenses, and CS6.

I miss my camera gear, sold everything I owned last October and spent 8K on gear, this year has been rough what with illness etc had to sell the lot including my MacBook Pro. Will get it all back some day I guess, currently using my iPhone 4s which to be honest is actually pretty good but nothing like my Canon Gear :(

I miss my camera gear, sold everything I owned last October and spent 8K on gear, this year has been rough what with illness etc had to sell the lot including my MacBook Pro. Will get it all back some day I guess, currently using my iPhone 4s which to be honest is actually pretty good but nothing like my Canon Gear :(

Wow that stinks.
Not to be nosy, actually I won't ask, but is this illness problem improving?
I hope so.
I hope things are getting back to normal for you Chris.

Wow that stinks.
Not to be nosy, actually I won't ask, but is this illness problem improving?
I hope so.
I hope things are getting back to normal for you Chris.

Yer it's cool buddy thanks, have had problems with my leg (Blood Clot 4 years ago followed by Pulmonary Embolism) but now have arterial problems in my left leg. Unable to work full time until the vascular surgeons have had chance to fix it. Not doing too bad though, hope for things to start to improve soon (fingers crossed)
Just thank the mighty one for Photoshop right now lol

Yeah that's right, you hit the name of the gaming forum on the head lol...

But that's where it all started for me.

Got into Photoshop out of interest and necessity?

Tho I was interested in art and design, I earned my degree in the field of business management. Years ago , I was hired by a design company in sales division. Along the way, I became quite interested in doing design work and ended up assisting the design people in my off-sales hours until my boss transferred me to the design section. Back then, design and composition was all done by hand - airbrush, manual drawing ; cut and paste.

Then our graphics director came across this new medium - PS2. And I was one of those interested to learn it.

And until today, I am still looking for an original , flawless floppy disk installer of Photoshop 2.0 or earlier - for nostalgic and sentimental reasons.

Got into Photoshop out of interest and necessity?

Tho I was interested in art and design, I earned my degree in the field of business management. Years ago , I was hired by a design company in sales division. Along the way, I became quite interested in doing design work and ended up assisting the design people in my off-sales hours until my boss transferred me to the design section. Back then, design and composition was all done by hand - airbrush, manual drawing ; cut and paste.

Then our graphics director came across this new medium - PS2. And I was one of those interested to learn it.

And until today, I am still looking for an original , flawless floppy disk installer of Photoshop 2.0 or earlier - for nostalgic and sentimental reasons.

I will keep an eye out for that for you mate lol...

The farthest back I can remember, I used Paintshop Pro to make graphics for layouts on Live Journal (probably around 14 years old). I loved customizing backgrounds and layouts and taught myself a few basics of html so that I could use my own graphics in the coding. From there I somehow transitioned into Photoshop and I've loved it ever since. I used to only use it for text editing and making icons/avatars/banners for whatever I was obsessed with and to show it off on LJ. Then I just taught myself more and more and I'm still learning every day. Wonderful program :)

Cs2 was my learning curve and i still use it today, like you Liz pure nostalgia impact.

i saw a guy dice ecid posted awesome work of his and also some resources i got really interested so i thought i give it a try xD but i got absolutely no connection to art that what gives me a hard time xDDDDDD

Last edited:

Back