What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a job at a photo studio!

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
Hooray! I just got a job at a photography studio that specializes in school portraits, senior portraits, team and individual sports photos, etc. I'm so super excited :)

I will be an assistant photographer and the workflow editor and I will be using a proprietary software similar to Lightroom for the photos (obviously for the school portraits, there won't be too much editing, just data matching, etc.).

Oh man, my first non-retail job. I'm so looking forward to this, woooooo!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Very Cool Jess! Congratulations! Let's have a party :cheers:

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm really happy for you, but just to prepare you, expect lots and lots of monotonous, non-creative scut work in a commercial studio, even if you are one of the principle photographers. Some photo mills go so far as to tape the camera and light settings to prevent them from being adjusted by the staff, mark the positions of the lights on the floor with tape, etc. etc.

That being said, it will teach you what types of photographs many, many people will pay for, what the customers can't stand, how to deal with irate members of the public, etc. All very good training for better jobs in the biz.

Again, a sincere congrats!

Tom M

Inkz

Guru
Super proud of you Jess...

Let us all know how you get on.

Go Jess!!

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
Thanks everyone! I go to my orientation tomorrow and meet the staff and all that.

Don't worry Tom, I don't expect the job to be glamorous! After being in retail for 4+ years I know how to deal with irate customers and I definitely am looking forward to this step up (in my eyes!).

Tom Mann

Guru
Good luck on your meeting tomorrow! Do report back to your cheering section here! LOL.

T

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
I met all of the staff today and they're all really nice! It's a relatively small studio, and I like it that way! They have 3 locations and ours is the smallest. My first shoot is on Saturday for a football team. I'll just be an assistant / helper but I'm looking forward to learning. I also had to get my picture taken for our IDs and ironic as it is, I don't like other people taking my photos, hehe. I definitely prefer to be behind the camera.

Man, I am still so excited! I'm finally getting some much needed experience.

Paul

Former Member
Great news Jess, enjoy the shoot and ask as many questions as you can without getting in the way that is.

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
Today went so well - we did football and cheer group pictures, individual shots, mug shots, etc.! I mainly helped with the photo packet paperwork and also held up umbrellas to prevent flare on the lenses, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. I got to see how they operate and we knocked out quite a few photos in about an hour. It barely feels like work :)

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
Woohoo! My new job sent me home with a whole studio set up so I can practice setting up the lights, backgrounds, etc. They sent me with a Fuji S5 Pro and a Nikon SB-800 speed light and two Sigma lenses to practice with! It's freaking sahweeeet. I've only shot with my Nikon D40 with the stock lens for the past...5 years, lol. So this is definitely nice.

Inkz

Guru
You've done well Jess...

And I wish you all the success you deserve.