What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well Yeah

hershy314

Guru
Just got back from the Dr. Heard something that really didn't want to hear. I found out that a valve in my heart (which was replaced back in 2000) is leaking again. Wont know how bad until I go see a cardiologist. If it's as bad as it sounds, could mean another surgery in my future. Hope that doesn't have to happen but who knows.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Wow kiddo, I certainly hope not. But whatever needs to be done to extend your life, must be done. Hell, surgical medicine is pretty advanced when it comes to safe procedures. You'll be fine.

I just hope you'll be fine without surgery, but the body can only soak up so much blood, such as through the capillaries, before getting overwhelmed and leaking too heavily into interstitial places and organs like the lungs. (medical background so sorry for the "lecture")

hershy314

Guru
If by some chance I do need another surgery, I'll have it done by one of the top heart surgeons in my area. Same guy who did my first one. I'm sure I wont need anything done anytime soon, but we shall find out.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry the hear this news my friend. But as bad as it sounds, the heart is one organ that can make life difficult when it becomes problematic. If the valve needs to be replaced or repaired then try not to dread the procedure because it's vital and imperative that it be done. There are some fairly advanced non/minimally invasive procedures for valve repair (yes, even replaced valves), so it may not be as bad as you think.

Sorry to hear about your heart condition. I pray for you and wish you all the best for the future. Keep up your good spirit and stay in touch with us gurus here.

hershy314

Guru
I will know in a couple days what is going on with my heart problem. Going in for an echo on Tuesday. I could know then what is going on. I have been feeling things that I did before the first surgery, such as chest pain, shortness of breath and a few other things.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Ask the tech to give you an unofficial interp, though he/she will likely say no, you never know. Especially if you say, you won't put any real stock in it. Or better, ask what observations they made. Then they are not giving you an unofficial opinion which could affect their license. But good luck with that anyway. The docs must feel you can afford to wait or they would prioritize your follow-up visit.

But I know how it feels. I had to wait a week between mammograms once to rule out a finding. Luckily, it got ruled out, no cancer. But that week was a very long one. I'm with ya hershy.

hershy314

Guru
Today was just a check up apparently, the doc did tell me what I thought was going on. The was a pretty good murmur in my heart beat, meaning that the valve is leaking. The echo on the 11th will let me know how bad.

hershy314

Guru
Got a letter today saying I have another Dr appointment this month. Gotta go in for a Pulmonary Function Test which is just a fancy way of saying, I need to take a breathing test. From what I've researched it doesn't look that pleasant at all. Then again what part of a Dr. appointment is? lol. Still got the Echo on the 11th and follow up on the 25th, unless they call me in sooner. If that happens then you know the chances of it being good are narrow. Now would be a good time for good luck to find me, that's for sure.

Sierraccr

Power User
You are remarkably brave about it. I'm a complete coward when it comes to medical stuff and would be a puddle.

Healing thoughts and prayers headed your way.

fotograffiti

Power User
Seems that I have missed all this.
I have a friend who was born with a malfunctioning heart and her two sons had surgery when just born (one had 3 operations). They have check ups more often than most people see their GP.
Hope you will some luck on your side.

hershy314

Guru
You are remarkably brave about it. I'm a complete coward when it comes to medical stuff and would be a puddle.

Healing thoughts and prayers headed your way.

To me this is just another day. I've been dealing with a bad heart all my life and known for pretty much most of it that a surgery or more was something I should plan for. I already had one surgery so if I need another I know it's no big deal. Trust me the first time I was a nervous wreck.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Most basic PFTs are really simple hershy. They call it screening spriometry. As a respiratory therapist, I not only monitored mine, but gave many to patients with COPD. It is just a simple breathe deep and exhale as far as you possibly can, then keep going. Don't and I repeat do not, let them put you in a box and put a ballon in your esophogus. You do not need that. It is only for very advanced or difficult to dagnose cases. I doubt that is in the plans. I'm claustrophic in that small a space, much less hating things that stimualte my gag reflex. I would fight tooth and nails.

Don't be unhappy; it's a good thing. Leaks can effect lung function and that can lead to congestive heart failure and obstructed or restricted breathing. Neither one is a condition you want to even touch upon. Love you and I hope the results are positive. Incidenatlly, I have RAD/asthma. RAD means reactive airway diesease and usually means minor asthma. I need to get spirometry done in the next couple weeks. Oh, I just love getting older and living with a body that won't stay 35 years old!