What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to edit this kind of color to my photos ??

Anja Williams

Hi I shoot a lot of waves and would like the end product to look like the picture i posted how would I go by processing them that the water looks like that ? I tried everything and I need help . thanks .Fullscreen capture 1112011 102127 PM.jpgFullscreen capture 1112011 102127 PM.jpg

Hi Anja Williams

That looks like this was achieved by increasing highlights via adjustment layers "Levels", then applied some Gaussian blur "filters>Blur>Gaussian" and also a subtle plastic wrap filter "Filters>Artistic>Plastic wrap",whit very low opacity, maybe some masking involved to get rid of the unwanted fx in some areas.

Yiou could post a picture, if you don't mind, so we could experiment whit it, and try to recreate that fx.

Hope this helps.

Anja Williams

Thank you so much ...did the first part but Filters>Artistic>Plastic wrap I never done ..I guess that's why I am here :) I will post a few to try ..I will try your suggestion also maybe we manage to make it look like that somehow :) thanks for the help in advance .I am uploading waves right now will post them as soon they done .

Anja Williams

thanks for all the help i did use plastic wrap but not happy with the result yet ..just saw the other answers will apply that as well and try it , this is the result I got so far better way better then before but not quiet there yet also will paste some waves so if anyone want's to give it a go :) maybe someone finds a way . barbers2 388.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
thanks for all the help i did use plastic wrap but not happy with the result yet ..just saw the other answers will apply that as well and try it , this is the result I got so far better way better then before but not quiet there yet also will paste some waves so if anyone want's to give it a go :) maybe someone finds a way .]

I can see that you might want to continue to work with an effect or two, but I think you have gotten pretty close to the results you want; maybe even better. If the above example was not blurry to begin with, then a blur was applied. That may be what you feel is missing.

As for the last two photographs you posted, nothing can really be done with them until you adjust them to be decent pictures. They need changes in exposure, levels, contrast, sharpness, curves . . . a couple or all of the above. Good luck with that. But you'll get much better results if you attend to that first. Open them up in Bridge and go through the steps provided there. It is worthwhile to watch/read some tutorials on using Bridge or otherwise learning how to make/edit photos.

Hi Anja Williams

I had i lil time to play whit your stock image, and this is what i got so far

barbers2 009_contrast.jpg

As you can see, using the tools mentioned above, plus contrast enhancements, the result achieved looks similar to the original image, but you have to remember that in those pictures the highlights and shadows plus color information, are completely different so the filter will process the image in a different way for every single image.

I'll suggest experimenting whit those tools, until you get something you like.

Have fun.

Last edited:

aldea

Enjoy reading everyone's tips on this, photoshop user for a long time but had never used the plastic wrap filter until now. Guess I'd been missing out. Anyways, I also tried to achieve similar effect without the plastic wrap. Here is what I did (in ps cs5):
- curves > auto to get some more contrast
- flattened this
- duplicated layer and set blending mode to soft light at 100%
- duplicated layer and set blending mode to screen at 50%
- added saturation adjustment layer and set saturation to 41%
- added guassian blur and masked out just the centre frothy white part
- added brightness/contrast adjustment layer and bumped the brightness to 32

To get smoother water I think the easiest would be to use a tripod and slow down the shutter speed.

barbers2-009-AW.jpg

aldea

just had another member show me "Image>Adjustment>HDR Toning" and was able to get this effect with only that menu item, just played quickly with the settings. Anyways, thought it might be another starting point to add to the tool kit.
barbers2-009-hdr.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
I had i lil time to play whit your stock image, and this is what i got so far
As you can see, using the tools mentioned above, plus contrast enhancements, the result achieved looks similar to the original image, but you have to remember that in those pictures the highlights and shadows plus color information, are completely different so the filter will process the image in a different way for every single image.

I'll suggest experimenting whit those tools, until you get something you like.

Have fun.

That's really good results $1r_M4x1mu$. I like!

ibclare

Queen Bee
HDR toning techniques are fun touse and can produce some amazing color depth and brilliance. However . . . if not compensated for, the highlights will be accentuated to the extreme. There are some good tutorials on the application of HDR toning and I recommend getting guidance on its usage. It's a fun technique in CS5.

aldea

Good advice ibclare, I can see I totally blew the highlights in my quick HDR version. Very neat effect though - I am going to be playing around with this. Would love to see some more of your results Anja!