What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much money should you earn for a 'Photo Edit' job?!

Considering that PSGuru is a reputed place for professionals in this field i'd like throw in a question here for all of you.

To start with Im NOT a photo editor by profession, but i have photoshop experience of 6-8years and im pretty confident with doing any sort of photo editing work at near professional quality. Now with that in mind if i were to do some Photo editing work for a client and i dont want to charge an hourly rate since its a work from home thing and the number of photos might vary from as few as 2 or 3 uptil 40 or 50, what do you charge?

How do you go about pricing yourself for this sort of work. Im completely in the dark about the current industry rates. But then again i dont see myself as a professional photo editor to be charging industry rates nor am i in this to make a lot of money. Im doing this purely out of my love for this kind of work and to learn and improve myself. So what do you think a fairly decent rate to charge per photo would be (for basic,medium & complex types of work) or what are the factors that you consider in setting your rates? Any sort of useful information is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hoogle

Guru
it is not about what you think your worth but more what your clients are willing to pay

I have just got a job touching up catalogue pictures and I am only get £5 per picture but there is about 150 images and as they were all taken in the same studio same settings etc it is only a case of editing 1 in lightroom and then applying the edits to all the images.

Then I have a regular client that owns a photography studio and he will pay me £30 per picture in touch up and £55 for more drastic edits.

but then you have companies online that will touch up photos for $10 a picture. There is no set price it is about getting regular clients that are willing to pay you a suitable price.

And then what your editing looks good to you does not mean it does to your client so without any before and after examples to assess your quality of work then I can honestly say you will be lucky if you will find someone that wants a 1 off job for personal use willing to pay more than $10

However if you have a corporate client then you can pretty much charge what you want if you can back up your prices with your work

That was a really helpful reply Hoogle. Thank you for that. That should prepare me for when I talk to my client later. In this case though it's an individual and not really a studio or a company so I'll try to be a little considerate i guess :)

Hoogle

Guru
Well a guarenteed client is better than no client so you could do an introductory offer first job 25% off kind off thing.

It is a hard market and competetive so you need to make enough to cover you for your work so dont sell yourself short

I know photographers that will do portrait sessions for $100 including discs of all the images edited and they have spent days editing them. So really with there time they are actually loosing money.

However once you have a good fast work flow then you should be able to fire out touchups in less than 10 mins.