What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

did my friends senior portraits

ibclare

Queen Bee
Very nice. She should love them.

The only thing I'd critique right off is the BG. I think it ought to be darker and recede a bit. At least in the top one where it is busy. But the way you work with the depth of field is good.

Tom Mann

Guru
I agree with Clare's comments.

This is nit-picking, but I would also comment that in the 2nd image:

(a) there are some odd colors around the inside corners of both eyes;

(b) the skin in shadow near her hairline is a bit too red; and

(c) the lighting on her face has been so evened out that the sense of depth is almost completely gone. I would blend back a bit of the original to recover some of the sense of depth.

Nice job!

Tom M

ibclare

Queen Bee
Good observations. I agree Tom.

I wonder if that redness is an artifact of compression? Or too far on the levels or some other adjustment perhaps? I think the skin tones are overall too red. Whether that is an adjustment, or an original tone that needs adjustment, IDK. I suspect it is post production though. I think your idea will help a lot to put depth and proper color back. Maybe needs some color balance?

Tom Mann

Guru
Again, I agree with Clair's comments, especially about the extreme redness.

My guess is that this image has already been subjected to quite a bit of post processing, hence the artifacts that Clair is referring to. I would exercise a lighter touch with the processing, with most of my effort directed to adjusting contrast and balancing light levels (eg, foreground / background, bringing the viewer's eye to the face instead of the coat, etc.).

In the attached image, I've tried to illustrate the direction I would take this image, if it were mine. Unfortunately, I couldn't do much to improve the three dimensionality without spending a lot of time painting in shadows. With respect to the compression artifacts, there wasn't much I could do with them either, so the image still is a bit rough and gritty, especially around the mouth, but with access to the original, this would be no big deal. BTW, I also didn't want to spend the time it would take to remove the tree directly in back of the subject's head, but that's another change I would suggest (hopefully at the time of shooting, not afterwards).

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• autumn_portrait-1-01_ps02a-02.jpg
    autumn_portrait-1-01_ps02a-02.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
I've tried to illustrate the direction I would take this image, if it were mine. Unfortunately, I couldn't do much to improve the three dimensionality without spending a lot of time painting in shadows. With respect to the compression artifacts, there wasn't much I could do with them either, so the image still is a bit rough and gritty, especially around the mouth, but with access to the original, this would be no big deal.

Very good job. You're a pro. Nice example for dirtynapkin to use. And not to cast aspersions on your talent or work dirty. You made some cool images.

BTW, I also didn't want to spend the time it would take to remove the tree directly in back of the subject's head, but that's another change I would suggest (hopefully at the time of shooting, not afterwards).

LOL, I hadn't even noticed that.