What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photography throughout the years.

Greeley

Hi guys, so im here to learn from you and i really would like decent, constructive comments on my hobbie which hopefully may turn into a career choice for me. I will probably be disgracing this forum with a few of my shots as im sure i can't even compare myself to you guys with your amazing photography. But please try and look with an open mind. Thankyou.

This is my website atm. Very rough and basic stages. just a test to see if the domain name works fine atm.

http://samgillphotography.net/

Attachments

• The_holiday_never_Ends_by_EmoGilly.jpg
    The_holiday_never_Ends_by_EmoGilly.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 2

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
I love the simplicity of your website. You have some great work! Keep it up :)
The only thing I see from some of your photos is that they are overexposed.
You've definitely got a good eye, though.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I agree with Jessica. But you have some really great stuff going.

It's a good start on the portraits, but I do see some problems there. Some of the compositions are awkward. IMHO (which of course means, "opinions are like yadayadayada; everybody has one"), you should consider pulling back or tightening up on some of the shots, thinking of the grandparents holding baby pix for instance.

The wedding pix are the most overexposured. I know the bleached out look is popular but I don't think that's the intention here. Besides which, with the exception of some artsy pictures of the happy couple, this is an event where people/clients, friends and family, are going to cozy up to pictures that have details, like eating a 7 course dinner instead of a snack tray. Am I making any sense?

You have talent. I especially see that in your landscapes, your PS Projects (I'm neutral on the 3rd one, sorta don't get it), and the rapport you have with your subjects (yourself included, lol). You caught some fantastic expressions ... and that toddler!

Well anyway, I like it as a clean and simple way to display your work. Thanks for sharing.

Greeley

Hey sorry, im here, ive been very busy, christmas time and all.
Thankyou guys so much for your opinions, i'll be looking into them next time i do some sort of spontaneous outing with my camera.
Do you guys think i could make a career in photography? Do you think i am the talent to be able to?

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hey sorry, im here, ive been very busy, christmas time and all.

Do you guys think i could make a career in photography? Do you think i am the talent to be able to?

I think anyone who has some talent and really applies themselves can do what they really want. Yeah, I think you have talent. Just develop it. I'd suggest art history classes, history of photography, some of the works of the great portrait and photo-journalism photographers. Landscapers too, lest I forget Ansel Adams. The surrealist and portraitist, Andre Breton. I could go on and on. Look, see, absorb, trial and error, honest critique, new technique. Yes, I think you could. Just be sure to keep doing things on the side as you work weddings, or you'll go nuts while waiting to build your serious practice.

IMHO, lol. And I'm not a photographer! Though once upon a time I studied it, developed B&W film in a darkroom, and made some half-decent pictures. And I will always be grateful for what I learned about photo technique and the works of great photographers.

So keep at it. You have some beautiful shots.

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
You definitely have a nice style and I agree with Clare. You have the talent, and you just need to add the willpower and dedication and you'll have a good thing going.