What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got any photography questions? Things that you would like to see discussed?

Tom Mann

Guru
With respect to old MF lenses on new cameras, I just have one recommendation: to focus accurately, either have very good eyes or learn how to use the live view mode of your camera to help you focus (and don't expect to be shooting fast action this way).

T

Tom Mann

Guru
This was taken at one of our local parks here in WA, probably Kings Park as it's near to the city. My question is simply this how was it taken and what settings used, that dark look even though it is vibrant and bright still? The image is taken from mu local online newspapers out and about feature.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a starting photo that was really close to the example you posted. For example, in the image that I finally used, the subjects are dressed in colors, not B&W (as in your example), and the illumination in the image I finally used is very soft (overcast day), whereas in yours, it's strong, high contrast sunlight coming from high and behind the subjects and slightly to our left. Nevertheless, here's the way I would approach such a transformation ...

First, here's the image I started with:

Family_park-tjm01-acr-ps02b_sRGB_690px_wide_comparisons-00_orig.jpg

Next, one can do a lot with this image using only ACR:

Family_park-tjm01-acr-ps02a_proFoto_690px_wide-01_only_acr.jpg

Finally, if you want to get closer to the look in your example image, one can also "spread the darks", in almost the exact way one might make the highlights on a portrait turn into a glow.

Family_park-tjm01-acr-ps02a_proFoto_690px_wide-02_acr_plus_spread_blacks.jpg

HTH,

T

besmirched

Power User
I just got the $5 pk - eos mount from ebay and was keen on trying it out immediately!

Nothing really exciting in the back yard today except my soon to be ripe tomatoes.

IMG_0091cropped.jpg

Vivitar 35mm /f2.8 and I think 1/25th.

While this was fun I am looking forward to receiving the reverse macro mount for this lens that I ordered.

LookyHotcha

I shoot primarily in film, and I've been on the market for a decent, relatively low priced (<$200) film scanner. Searching through all of it is very confusing to me though
I'd like an opinion from somebody who may have one...
I just prefer to shoot in film then edit in Photoshop because I feel like it gives me so much control over my images.

Thankyou!

pwilliam74

I would like to take natural and wild life photography with quality. How to take that photographs. please guide me?

Tom Mann

Guru
wildlife photography is a very specialized area with many different skills and equipment required. The topic is very broad, and is probably best covered by books combined with in the field training, not a series of exchanges on a forum that is primarily devoted to Photoshop techniques.

However, if you have specific questions or want images critiqued, we will probably be able to help you out.

Tom

pwilliam74

Thank you Tom. I seen lot of wild life pictures and video all very awesome. So I am very impressed. So what I am asking this question. If you have any picture. Please show me...

Tom Mann

Guru
OK, here's a photo of an American Egret that I took at a wildlife refuge near our home. I used a Nikon 80-400 VR telephoto mounted to a d700. I took the picture hand held, while sitting in the driver's seat of my car. It was not exactly a difficult shot to get.

I answered your previous question with a comment about learning the basics using books, websites, etc. As you pointed out, there are plenty of nice wildlife pix like mine on the web. Why did you ask to see one of mine? What exactly do you want to discuss?

BTW, from one of your other posts, I thought you were a wedding photographer?

Tom M

Clippingworld

Can i take a shot of the moon using the 18-55mm kit lens? Can anyone kindly share some of their pics taken using the kit lens?

ElizabethM

I would love to understand my focus settings a little better. Sometimes I feel like the shot looks amazingly clear on my camera, only to wonder where did this blur image come from when looking at it on my computer. :shrug:

Moble Guy

Theoretically you can shoot the moon using the 16 and sunny rule since the moon is being lit by the sun.
It never worked for me, 16 and sunny was always under exposed.

You need a long lens and a solid tripod to shoot the moon.
A 55mm lens won't get you a shot you can enlarge and look good,

Your best chance of getting a decent shot is using a 300-400 mm or longer lens, set to around f8 and a shutter speed greater than the size of the lens.

Regarding the proper aperture.
The higher the aperture number the greater the depth of field but not the best sharpness for a particular lens.
Middle settings close to f8 are usually the sharpest.

If you're using a 400 mm lens the shutter speed should be at least 1/400th of a second then put it on a tripod.

The most important issue is the atmosphere.
You need a crystal clear day.
Best of luck.

Moon-walkway11x14_3F.jpg