What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonight is an event for Night Photographers

Hoogle

Guru
Just thought it would be a cool share for some of you budding Photographers out there, Some of you may or may not know that tonight is what they call a super moon where for this 1 night the Moon is closest to the Earth than any other day of the year. Depending on where you are in the World (all though the fact is true no matter where you are it is closer than it ever is) It may be a great opportunity to get your camera out and maybe take some cool pics. And all though it may not be award winning Photography you may get a nice night sky to use in other images. I love Night Photography so Weather permitting ( I am not a die hard Photographer if it is raining I am not going out lol) I will be out there Hoping the clouds clear Taking wide angle lens and telephoto zoom lens for a tighter crop. I will also be using ND filters so I can reduce the light by a few stops and hopefully get some nice combinations of star trails, long exposures and light painting. SO yes I am going out with the intention to get a whole array of night photography challenges.

I am also going to try and get a nice skyline shot of my town with the moon in, should be challenging because of the light pollution.

So if anyone else feels they have the time and would also like to explore night photography here are some useful links to tips ideas and of course info on the moon tonight. (Note there is also a calculator in the moon link that shows you the time the moon rises and when it is at full size in your time zone)
http://digital.photorecommendations.com/recs/2013/06/super-moon-super-crop/

Light Spheres and Orbs

Steel Wool Photography (love this but can be dangerous so be safe with it)

Light Painting

General Night Photography Tutorial

Fun Light painting

And of course if you come up with anything you like then please do share them in this thread.

Paul

Former Member
Yeah 7.33pm here, going to try and grab a few of her.

Tom Mann

Guru
Unfortunately, I'm about 400 miles away fm my gear, otherwise I'd join in the fun. The only cameras I have with me are my iPhone and a little Point & Shoot.

As I recall, the neat thing about supermoons was the increased illumination of the land, not so much the actual change in size, which I think is only a few percent of the diameter, but it seemed eerily bright. Yeah, definitely post any good shots here.

T

Hoogle

Guru
Not sure I will be venturing out now just to windy so all images with the shutter speeds needed will be blurred. But then the new tool in ps cc which is suppose to fix that may be good for testing because so far every image I have downloaded from google with camera shake the filter makes no real difference at all. We will see it may calm down later

Hoogle

Guru
Doesnt matter how close the moon was it was not visible to us lol we had solid clouds and still have today so far maybe they will clear up for tonight

Paul

Former Member
Yeah thunderstorms here and low cloud cover so no chance for 5.33 moon rise.

Tom Mann

Guru
We were on our way back home yesterday, driving for about 8 or 9 hours. For a couple of hours we saw the full moon and it was indeed bright and seemed large, but it's kinda hard to tell (or do much with it) when you are flying along at 70 mph. :-(

Maybe next time.

T