What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quality loss after uploading photos to PSG

Tom Mann

Guru
People regularly complain that the quality of their photographs suffer after being uploaded to this forum.

The reason for this is almost always because they have uploaded a large image, but they then look at the down-rez'ed, moderate resolution version of their image that appears in-line in threads, ie, essentially, a large thumbnail.

If you click on this thumbnail, you can get to the full sized version of their image and then do anything you want with it -- view it, download it, etc.. Although I haven't done any tests, as far as I can tell, this version of your image is exactly the same as the image you uploaded.

OTOH, if you want to have a good quality in-line thumbnail, as far as I know, the only way I know to do this is to generate one yourself and upload this down-rez'ed version. From experience, I have found that if you keep the dimensions under 650 pixels (in the longest dimension), and keep the file size under 300 kB, the forum's compressor software is not invoked and your image is displayed properly.

HTH,

Tom M