What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any help with removing dogs blue eyes from this photo?

JnthnMtthws

Hi, it's been a while!A friend of mine has asked for the eyes on this photo to be made to look normal and less blue demon like, I've attached the photo that needs adjustingAny help, advice or tips would be great :DThanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo 1 copy.JPG
    photo 1 copy.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Since a Google search using {photoshop tutorial remove glowing eyes dog} turned up over 700,000 hits, and most of the first 50 or so that I glanced at seemed to be relevant, I assume you want someone here to do this work for you? (ie, versus chatting about which method we think is best)?

Tom M

JnthnMtthws

I've looked at these tutorials, honestly I can manage the actual eye - its the glowing around that the eyes are doing and the colour around them that I'm having trouble with.

So either - if you want to have a crack at it, fine by me. If you want to share your knowledge and tell me how best to tackle it then your more than welcome :)

Use the eyedropper tool to choose a brown from the dogs head and on a new layer, colour over the blue areas, then set the layer blending options to colour. Drag the image of the good eyes onto the canvas and after making a quick selection of the eyes, click on the vector mask icon. Resize the eyes to sit over the old ones, set the blending options to darker colour, and play with the feather on the mask to blend it in.

77g4coop.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
OK. Fair enough.

First, I don't think you are going to get too many takers to do work on such a small image, and especially one so underexposed that you can hardly see any detail in the animal.

With respect to technique, there is no automated or semi-automated technique (eg, like the red-eye tool) that is going to work for the image you posted. This is because the glow is so intense, there is almost no detail left in these areas to work with.

As you were probably thinking before you removed the images of the other dogs that you had initially posted, IMHO, the best way is to replace the eyes + a good bit of their surroundings with the corresponding areas from photos at the same resolution of a similar animal (same breed, in the same pose, in the same light (direction, color, brightness, etc.)). The real challenge will be finding a suitable image from which to pull the material you need.

Find a good source image, and you will hardly have to do any work in Photoshop. In contrast, if you try to make do with an imperfect match, you'll be spending lots of time in PS adjusting size, sharpness, perspective, color, brightness, shadow direction and amount of shadow detail, catchlights in the eyes, etc. etc., and even after all that, may never get the result to look realistic, especially if one can see lots of detail in the original image.

Unless, for some bizarre reason, that one particular image is incredibly important and can't be re-photographed using proper photographic technique, the best (ie, quickest, highest quality) technique IS to take another photo or have someone with better photographic skills take it.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

PS - While I was typing, I see that Spruce proved me wrong about "few takers". Nice job, Spruce.

Last edited:

JnthnMtthws

Tom, I know - it was taken by a friend on her mobile in a poorly lit room, so I understand the photo is far from a good quality. Thanks for your input :)

Thanks Spruce, really helped - I'll try and post my outcome when I get home.

Thanks for all the help again