What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Bloom

MikeMc

McGuru
Most of these were taken with my cell phone. Never thought to get down lower when taking these photos.

I say this honestly...Think from a 3 year olds perspective..Yep get down on your knees or sit on your butt! Some of my best shots have come from sitting and shooting from 3 feet high.

I am a bit over 6 feet, and I find that "getting down" with the right focal length can make for a very enjoyable shoot.

hershy314

Guru
I say this honestly...Think from a 3 year olds perspective..Yep get down on your knees or sit on your butt! Some of my best shots have come from sitting and shooting from 3 feet high.

I am a bit over 6 feet, and I find that "getting down" with the right focal length can make for a very enjoyable shoot.

I've started to kneel down to get better shots of these flowers. Next weekend I'll probably be taking a lot of photos at a local car show.

Tom Mann

Guru
I am outside in some sweet tropical and orchid gardens, but if i'm lucky I have my I phone, if not just a cheepie. Saw this one awhile ago, did a quick white balance and levels for the leaves. Then my sharpening tricks, followed by a spot removal...here are both! I did this with elements at the family computer...adequate.
Beautiful work, Mike, both in the original photography, as well as the PP.

Tom

ibclare

Queen Bee
Very nice both ways, but you're a photographer dude. Stick to photography, lmao. Sorry. It just so happens I like the first one better. But seriously, I think the bright blue center detracts from the flowers, and is a little hard on my eyes, almost neon. Maybe if it were a soft pastel blue or a lighter shade of the yellow. Really a nice shot for an iPhone.

MikeMc

McGuru
Very nice both ways, but you're a photographer dude. Stick to photography, lmao. Sorry. It just so happens I like the first one better. But seriously, I think the bright blue center detracts from the flowers, and is a little hard on my eyes, almost neon. Maybe if it were a soft pastel blue or a lighter shade of the yellow. Really a nice shot for an iPhone.

did this with your comments in mind

IMG_0368g.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
Interesting. I mean I like the elements. It is almost more interesting to me as a shot of the trailer and I would like to see it with the rose to the side and not the focus. The lighting is almost spooky. I like that very much. So, IMO, if you want to keep the rose the focus, if you can do it, soft-focus the BG.

BTW, did you apply some HDR? It works on the BG, but I don't think it does the lfower justice. ANyway, it seems to me, you have two separate pictures here.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hershey, Photomatix is an excellent program. I've been having fun with it for years. It can produce anything from utterly surreal, highly stylized images, all the way down to extremely subtle exposure blends that increase the dynamic range without screaming, "HDR ! ! !, HDR ! ! ! ", LOL.

BTW, other than myself, I think you are the only person on PSG that I've ever seen produce and post a true, multi-exposure HDR image on this forum. Most the visitors that we get simply crank up the level of the shadows in a single image, or use a efx preset on a single image and think it really is HDR. :banghead:

Regards,

Tom

MrToM

Guru
...BTW, other than myself, I think you are the only person on PSG that I've ever seen produce and post a true, multi-exposure HDR image...

I create HDR images all the time for use in 3D but they are not really something you'd post to 'Look at', if you see what I mean, they are more of a 'tool' than a display item.

They are used in IBL, (Image Based Lighting), whereby the HDR image is, or contributes to, the lights in the scene. Mapped to a hemi-spherical environment this gives a more 'realistic' look to both lighting/shadows and reflections......nothing worse than seeing a reflection of something that isn't actually in the model!

Anyways, just saying that although I may not post any, I still create and use them on a regular basis....usually 5-7 exposures per image, thrown together in PS and saved out as an HDRI.....nothing more elaborate than that but HDR none-the-less.

Great image there hershy314, very eyecatching.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
Cool, MrTom! I don't do renderings, but I've heard about the IBL technique and it sounds very interesting. If you can post one of your images with and without the additional light sources derived from HDR, I know that I'd love to see it.

BTW, just ignore my mini-rant in the previous post about people who claim / think they are doing HDR when they don't have a clue what the phrase, "high -- dynamic -- range" really means. Obviously, it annoys me to no end. :banghead:

:cheesygrin:

T

MrToM

Guru
Cool, MrTom! I don't do renderings, but I've heard about the IBL technique and it sounds very interesting. If you can post one of your images with and without the additional light sources derived from HDR, I know that I'd love to see it.

Sure!
I don't know when mind but I'll certainly give you the heads up when it happens. I dunno if you've seen the 3D stuff I posted on here but I intend to do a HDR image for the "Killer Crawler" (First Image)....that's not my choice of title, that's apparently what its called.

That was done with a HDR image anyway but more of a 'studio' set-up, I've been meaning to do an 'outside' HDR shot for some time....I guess this is the perfect excuse.

And as to rants....I know what you mean, my bug-bear is when people say a 'HDRI image'....grrrrrr!

Time to polish my balls!

Regards.
MrTom.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Nice one hershy. I'd like to see you play with that one like you did the other. Make it a little spooky, a little otherworldy, lol. I'm glad you started this thread.