What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photography Starter Question.

inkpad.t

Guru
I like that modified expression...

In my case it's " One day out is better than Two in the cell".. For some reason i Just end up being back there.

I have some time off work after this week , so hopefully i will be able ( weather permitting here ) i will be able to get out and use P & S for now and see what I can come up with.

I've been looking at the manual for that Sony.. one of its features is that it will take 3 x images in quick succession if hold the button down when taking the photo... dos this give you the chance of getting a better image?... or is that for moving images?

The manual is pretty basic, it tells you what the features are, but in some cases not what you would use them for..

Again thanks everyone for the input you have given me .. NOW'S the time to make a proper start...well next week anyway..

Will post the photo's i take so you can see where I'm going with it...

Thank you all.

"My mind is fix on that camera... got to get there some how"

Some times it takes me forever to get to the goal.. but when the grits between the teeth.. There's NO stopping me ( well unless your the Mrs that is )..

egosbar

Guru
ill go back to one of my previous suggestions , your obviously pretty talented with photoshop from some of the work ive seen from you , id ask the wife how about using photoshop to pay for half the camera by picking up freelance work , then offer her the money for the rest of your life freelancing photoshop and photography from then on ( only offer this as a last resource you dont want to eat into cash you may earn for the lenses you will be wanting to buy down the track lol)

or do what every man should do and have a cunning kit lol , im building mine for my new tokina 11-16 , luckily my wife doesnt use my camera and has no idea whats in my camera bag , ill whack it on shoot an image and she wont even suspect , now i havent lied which is good and to be honest im sure she does it with the dresses she pulls out of the closet ive never seen before and she says oh this thing ive had it for years lol

third option is buy second hand , ill ask my freind when shes back off holidays if she is selling , then if i can get it for you for a really good price tell her you cant afford too miss a golden opportunity , cant promise anything mate she may want to keep it for a back up camera.

inkpad.t

Guru
Thanks guys..

egosbar..
my wife doesnt use my camera and has no idea whats in my camera bag
.. she might now that you have posted it?....

Never actualy done free lancing before which is why I have never reply to any one in the freelance section.

Only ever done stuff for friends etc.

I will have to have her blessing no matter how many dresses she has in the wardrobe.. or is that just war? especially when i do something we have not both agreed on... end up back in the tower for months man, not just a couple of days.

Will keep chipping away... ( that's at the wife.. not the escape.. )

Thanks guys.

egosbar

Guru
do you smoke , if so give up smoking and tell her you want to reward yourself with the money you save

im sure freinds will pay 20 bucks for a well done photoshop fix especially if you tell them what your doing , put the cash in the cookie jar , there are jobs out there but you have to network , facebook is good for it , post before and afters etc

inkpad.t

Guru
Thanks guys... will think about Facebook etc..

In the mean time i took photos outside a pub I pass on my travels today as a starter with the Sony camera, i am on the works laptop so had to crop it down in paint so that i could post them. This has cut half the image out... when i get home and have time i will post the full images.

Thanks.

DSC00006.JPG DSC00007.JPG

egosbar

Guru
looks pretty clear mate , when you post photos post the exif data , it isnt coming up here
did you shoot this on manual?
the exif data if you dont know can be found if you right click the photo icon / properties / details , what we would be interested in is the shutter speed , aperture and iso values ,
ill have to go back through the thread and find out the specs on your camera but good start , if you post your photos here we can give constructive critique
resize them in photoshop to about 650 pixels for here , i think the exif data is stripped if too big a file

egosbar

Guru
is it a cybershot w320 , looks like no manual mode which is a shame , still if it shows exif data then we can tell you why it picked theses settings and get you going so your ready when or if you buy a better camera
im sure you will still have fun with this one and no doubt you will still get good shots just not be able to manipulate your shot/exposure the way manual mode does

inkpad.t

Guru
WELL ... there's a lesson learnt.. those 2 x images i took while at work i thought were not bad images?... and wanted to post them, as was on the lap top from work the only thing it has is the built in paint program.. not knowing how to use it i just re-size them so as i could post them... now they are in half.. but STUPID ME did not make 2 copies so i now have lost the 2 images... I also deleted them of the works memory card when i put them on the lap top.

Next time i will wait till i get home and on to Photoshop... GUTTED.. First pics i took with some real thought about how the Sony operates..

Thanks again everyone... much appreciated from the input you give....thank you.

inkpad.t

Guru
One thing i have notice on the first image of the pub is that i should have had the camera a little lower to get part of the road in and not so much sky... Well i think so anyway but maybe that's OK.

Need to think a bit more before taking the shot...

Last edited:

egosbar

Guru
you will learn lots of lessons , none as important as making copies lol , yes your right too much sky , so you see your thinking already on composition , well done , keep posting them here

inkpad.t

Guru
It's ALL GRAVY now.... been saving and working it out.... I can get my hands on a dslr, drsl, dlsr.. which ever way round that is... in approx 12 months time...

I have been taking pictures where I can... not really any good.... But have been rather busy with work... I WILL eventually get them of the pen drive and onto the pc so I can post them... I've been thing about camera shake while holding it, where is the light coming from, make sure I don't get silly trees over the middle of the head, things like that... I tried to take some images of a shopping mall ...but that didn't go very well.. movement of people didn't work very well..

But at the moment life's looking good for a proper camera all be it in 12 months time... worth the wait. EVEN THOUGH its killing me waiting to get it.... they won't stop me breaking out of here then...

Thanks all.

egosbar

Guru
your on the way to a very expensive habit lol , and thinking of the things your mentioning is as big a part of photography as knowing all the settings

so what is the new budget if your waiting for 12 months , my advise pick a camera , any camera that your picking now should be cheaper in 12 months anyway and then start to watch utube videos on the camera youve chosen that way you will be very ready when it comes

inkpad.t

Guru
Finally.. here's some photos i took with the Sony i have... bit boring but never the less its a place to start.

clock at 3000px.jpg

fields 2 3000px.jpg

road 3000px.jpg

fields 3 3000px.jpg

I had to take them in to Photoshop and reduce the image size down to 3000px to able to post them.

Thank you.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, Inkpad -

Nice photos. You've come a long way in the last month or so.

Tom

PS - Don't by shy about photoshopping the images. IMHO, there is rarely an image that comes straight from the camera that couldn't stand a bit of help from PS. For example, here's your pastoral landscape with "the gain turned up to '11' ", LOL.

T

Attachments

• fields_2-3000px-tjm01-acr-ps02a_sRGB_698px_wide-01.jpg
    fields_2-3000px-tjm01-acr-ps02a_sRGB_698px_wide-01.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 16

ZipedX

Power User
Nice images Ink. I particularly like the one with the street. It got some postapocalyptic feel to it. If the car wasn't there and a darker more gritty processing I'd be in heaven!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using tapatalk.

inkpad.t

Guru
OK Guys.... here is another photo i took on my travels...

The_Old_Clubhouse_Buxton.jpg

When i took it i had to cut out part of the right hand side as there was lots of building work going on.. i also had to crop it down a little to be able to post it.

Thanks.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hi inks, my favorite is the clock. It could be great for making your manipulations too.

You need to look at the whole picture and its bounds before you shoot though. The reason I say that is, IMO, if you photographed less of the street and wall in the Grab some Buds pic and tried to fit in the entire chimney of the building, it would make a better composition. Otherwise, I think it is a really good photo.

Edit: I realize this would throw off the perspective (which is a little off even at the angle you have taken) unless you were standing on top of a car or something, lol. Of course, you can straighten that out in PS . . . or you could make it just obvious enough to be part of the orientation of the pic; like as an artistic effect.

Last edited:

ZipedX

Power User
Great shot Ink. I like the colors and detail.
I get a feeling that the building leans a bit to the left side of of the pic and that kinda bugs me. Just my opinion I still like the shot. Where in the world is it?

ibclare

Queen Bee
Z, it's off on both right and left. That's the problem with taking architectural shots with cameras that can't be adjusted for this, or the height of the photograper's stance is not great enough.

ZipedX

Power User
On the right as well? Kinda hard for me to see. (Using my phone here). Is it a lens distortion, Fisheye effect?

Sorry for hogging your thread a little Ink.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using tapatalk.