What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Store

hershy314

Guru
I live right behind this old store in Missouri. It dates back a long time, at least 100 years. It has had a few renovations over the years. It has been closed down for the past couple years. I heard it's cause the owner became too ill to keep it open and that's why it's closed. I'd love to reopen it but the cost would be way too much I'm sure. Plus I would need to get a couple licenses to boot. I know the people around here would like to see it open again. Kind of makes me wonder why no one has tried to open it. There is another place in town that should be reopened that I would like to do also. It's a restaurant and with my knowledge and experience with restaurants, both places would seem like a good fit. Sorry no pic of the place in town.

Gano Village Store.jpg

Wondering why? Do you have a Walmart within a reasonable distance? If so, that's why. Alas, times have changed. When I grew up in Alabama many years ago, little businesses like this were everywhere and thrived. No more. That has been many decades ago and I have lived to see the demise of the country store like my father owned. Hope you give it a try, some people still like stores other than Wallyworld.

The tree branch covered it up pretty good. I guess I could of tried to get a better angle, maybe tomorrow. The sign says Gano Village Grocery. We do have a Walmart, but until a few years ago the store did pretty well even with Walmart in town. This store was for those who lived outside of town like I am. I would like to give it a try, but no way I can get a loan. Kickstarter maybe? Nah that wouldn't work either.

So, a little market research, door to door, online community pages, newspaper maybe, just to sample the interest. If you go out personally (go to te Walmart and canvas folk, lol), see if peoples' eyes light up when you mention it. Don't believe them if you get a half-hearted, bored expression cuz they don't want to hurt your feelings or might come in once a week to buy a pack of gum. Look for backers in town, if there is anyone with money. Some business people might benefit from the booming business you'll get, lol. You don't need to get a bank loan, but there may be some that would speculate with some start-up costs.

Be real, real careful opening a restuarant. They are tricky and lots of people with experience think they could master the art. But already you are indicating that you don't have a lot of experience with business, accounting, and marketing strategies, so you should really partner with someone who does. And don't think you can be a chef! You will be needed other places, especially to cover those sick calls all over on any given day. My husband was an executive chef and we used to talk about the reasons - for the most part - that a restuarant would take off or fail.

As for the market (one venture at a time kiddo), the store might require a bit of updating, renovating to moderity, but also keep the old-fashioned flavor, literally and figuratively. You might offer free wifi on a patio set up. Maybe even espresso machine, though that might actually alienate some potential customers, especially some of the older ones who don't like the new culture - even though they would love the sentimentality of having the store reopen.

If you have your own town council or county seat nearby, check out if they have community block grant funds available for what you want to do. There are other kinds of funds for business renovation and restoration, such as redevelopment projects in some places, if you can make a case. You might even find an historical society interested. The possibilities are there.

I wouldn't reopen the restaurant, it would cost too much. The store would be a better option. Really either option really isn't the best, considering that I don't plan to be in this town forever. Hell the sooner I get out of here the better. Really anytime I've mentioned opening the store it was a joke. There have been times when we needed something from the store but didn't feel like driving into town to get it. The store is literally 300 feet from my front door. Everyone in this town I have mentioned reopening the store too have been like "hell yeah, someone needs to do it". I will admit I haven't given it much thought. Only cause I never thought I'd get the money needed, plus my desire to get out of this town.

Open up Hershey's Photo and Graphics Emporium and Grocery Sales. :cool2:

Busch's beer. NOw I haven't heard that one in awihle.

How about: "From the land of clear blue wa-a-ters, come the beer refreshingest . . . Hamm's."

Have you even heard of pabst blue ribbon or old milwaukee? How about coors, lol. Those are all midwestern breweries and the hamm's is from Minnesota.

All except for Coors of course, west of the Mississippi.

Have you even heard of pabst blue ribbon or old milwaukee? How about coors, lol. Those are all midwestern breweries and the hamm's is from Minnesota.

I used to go to this place in KC that had $5 all you can drink PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon). Coors and Old Milwakee I have heard of. Worked in bars for many years, so Kind of surprised I never heard of Hamm's. Personally I don't drink anymore, but I know alcohol would be a big seller in these parts.

Busch's beer. NOw I haven't heard that one in awihle.

How about: "From the land of clear blue wa-a-ters, come the beer refreshingest . . . Hamm's."

Uggh auntie .....close but its:

"THE LAND OF SKY BLUE WATERS"

Busch is just cheap Budweiser, very common down South

A as native Milwaukee boy, PBR is what most of us drank after Blatz and Schlitz closed. Old Milwaukee is unfit for humans, Hamm's is now in Milwaukee ! Brewed at Miller for awhile now. Coors was only available WEST of the Mississippi, due to the fact it has to be kept cold, due to the brewing process. But when I went to school in denver in the early 70's I used to make a Coors delivery run to Wisconsin, round trip in a weekend. We would buy 20 plus cases, load up the station wagon, 24 hours later 100 bucks for gas, we could clear $500.00 for the trip, and sleep next week.

Loved the Bear!
Not the beer!
Now I'm singing this D#*%! tune now :banghead:

Last edited:
Hershy, would you mind if I played around with that image a little? I'm working on a piece just for fun and this little store would be the perfect addition.

I talked to the owner of this store. Out of curiosity I asked how much it would cost to reopen the store, the answer was surprising. Around $15k is what it would take. That price includes things like getting the appropriate licenses, getting the shelves stocked, and a few other things Still not something I could ever come up with, but really 15k isn't too bad. I was expecting more to be honest.

Back