What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toolkit for Studio Work

Stacy

My partner and I have been doing a few studio sittings recently and I've found myself running round the house looking for items so we can setup shoots or fix things that have gone funny mid session. I've now bought a little toolbox and am hoping to fill it with household items that we might find useful when shooting in the studio.

So far I have the following:

Sellotape
Gaffa Tape
4 Small Clamps
Bulldog Clips
Hair Grips

Do you have any other suggestions can you think of?
Bear in mind this is normal household items just for odd jobs in the studio, not photography kit.

thanks
Stacy

Tom Mann

Guru
old fashioned clothes pins
flashlight
empty gallon plastic milk containers (fill with water to weigh down light stands)
a couple of xtra extension cords + xtra cube taps
rubber bands and assorted bungie cords
something to take notes on -- either a tablet of paper or a laptop/tablet computer
blank model releases, contracts, etc.
household ladder (to reach the top of backdrop bars, lights, etc.)
a few chairs (for when you have to discuss things with the model(s) and you want to get them out from in front of the camera)
wipes (to remove oily sheen on face), comb/brush + basic makeup kit (assuming someone is there that knows makeup)
small and large fans (both for cooling in warm weather, and to blow hair)
...I'm sure I'll think of more ...

Tom M

Stacy

Thanks Tom, that's a great start to my list, although I'm not sure how im going to fit the ladder in my tool box! :lol:

Tom Mann

Guru
Folding ladder, perhaps? LOL!

Seriously, tho, I did realize that some of these items wouldn't fit in a toolbox, but I thought it would be ok if I expanded your request a bit to include some other common items that often are needed in the studio. Don't worry, tho -- eventually, you'll just take over a room for your studio and fill it with an astonishing number of odds and ends like these. :-0

Cheers,

Tom M

MikeMc

McGuru
a couple of 1/4 20 swivels.....can be priceless...

roll of aluminum foil, paperclips, hairclips, pill bottles.....I always had a leatherman by my side

Assorted hand tools, screwdriver set...slotted and crosspoints , tweezers....blower brush, paintbrushs...for dusting

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
a couple of 1/4 20 swivels.....can be priceless...

roll of aluminum foil, paperclips, hairclips, pill bottles.....I always had a leatherman by my side

Assorted hand tools, screwdriver set...slotted and crosspoints , tweezers....blower brush, paintbrushs...for dusting

Oooooooooo I Love it when you talk dirty!

Regards.
MrWobbly.

MikeMc

McGuru
That reminded me....

I forgot the liquid soap in a can, and a roll of paper towels.....