What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few photos from the zoo

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I'm still not too good with my photography, simply because I'm either impatient, forgetful or too cautious, but these are some okay shots that I got at Chester Zoo(sorry for the spoiler alert for those watching "our zoo")

please zoom in fully to get the full quality of the photo, my apologies if some are slightly blurry, I had to use manual focus on some.

Lilac Breasted Roller:
lilac_breasted_roller_by_zeealex-d7zqlm6.jpg
curious_lilac_breasted_roller_by_zeealex-d7zqlms.jpg
relaxed_lilac_breasted_roller_by_zeealex-d7zqtqf.jpg
This bird was a lovely little one, I was just relaxing in the aviary watching the birds fly around and this little guy lands on a wooden log on a hut and just looks at me. He was there for a good hour just chilling. I had my camera with me, and while he was curious when I got it out, he didn't move much at all.
I'm not happy with the exposure of the top one, thankfully I shot RAW so I can go in and modify it if need be. The histogram looked okay though.

Ornate wolf:
alert_ornate_wolf_by_zeealex-d7zqlsp.jpg

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/262/a/a/sleeping_ornate_wolf_by_zeealex-d7zqlqq.jpg
(dimensions are too big)

The ornate wolves were quite active last time I went, quite curious too, either that or very defensive, It was good just to see them up close for once.

Cheetah:
spotted_by_a_cheetah_by_zeealex-d7zqnxt.jpg
Caught this one looking right at me, it was an opportunistic shot, but I like it.

aaand of course it seems my camera loves bees, this is probably the best shot of them all. I was meant to be taking photos of a Jaguar... ended up snapping a bee instead:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/262/c/9/a_bee_by_zeealex-d7zqnx5.jpg

Shot in RAW(DNG) with a Pentax K-r fitted with its 18-55mm kit lens in aperature priority mode (I'm gravitating towards manual... slowly)

I'm thinking about getting a 70-300mm lens for the zoo, I'm a member there so sometimes I go just to practice my photography it would be good to get a macro lens though. It's either that or get a macro lens extension for my 18-55mm for £10 and see how I get on. whichever.

Critiques welcome. I know they aren't great but advice for next time would be good.
Thanks!

Tom Mann

Guru
Nice shots, Zee!

Your last shot needs a text bubble saying, "Yeah, I know there's no expectation for privacy in a zoo, but publish this without a model release, and you'll be hearing from my lawyer." LOL!

I've had people look at me in just the same way. :eek:

T

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Love the shots Zee, The first bird needed a tweak on the shadows and highlights though.(IMHO)
lilac_breasted_roller_by_zeealex-d7zqlm6.jpg

Last edited:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
thank you both!
Tom, yeah, it does look that way... very dark look on her face :p
ALB68
yeah! that's more like what it should be, i knew the shadows weren't right! :D thanks.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
snapped the little guy again a couple of days ago. he's either very fearless or very trusting, I shot with an 18-55 at less than an arm's length away.

lilac_breasted_roller__close__by_zeealex-d8t4i0z.jpg

Lovely shots Zee... all of them!
But the one of today is a perfect focused image, just gorgeous to look at.

I hope you don't mind that I tried to enhance the first image, though a bit in a different way than Larry.
I blurred the background slightly, and opened the mid tones of the bird and log and applied some unsharp masking.

lilac_breasted_roller_by_zeealex-d7zqlm6_chrisdesign.jpg