What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DXO Optics Pro 8 FREE

Steve

Retired Administrator
DXO Optics Pro 8 is a RAW editor and not the most current version of the software but DXO is offering it as a free download if you're interested.
I'm not familiar with this software but I downloaded and installed it and plan to play around with in over the next few days.

If any of the photographers here are interested you can get it HERE.

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for posting this, Steve. I actually downloaded it and started to play around with it about a week ago. I have heard about it for years, and have been interested in trying it, but never got around to it till now. The noise reduction ("Prime") is supposed to be the best money can buy, so I was very interested in trying that out. Unfortunately, I was rushed and ouldn't immediately find it in the program, and then got even busier, so I don't have anything to report on that.

With respect to its other features, they seem to work just fine, but not so much better than PS and LR that would cause me to switch. OTOH, I've had decades of experince in PS and LR, but almost none in this program, so I want to become more familiar with it.

Thanks again,

Tom M

Steve

Retired Administrator
One thing it doesn't have or I haven't found yet is visually showing highlight and shadow clipping like in ACR.
That alone would be a deal breaker for me.
I shoot a fair amount of high school basketball and might use DXO for that if the noise reduction proves better than what I'm using now.

We'll see.

Tom Mann

Guru
...might use DXO for that if the noise reduction proves better than what I'm using now...

FWIW, its new NR algorithm is reputed to be one of the very best available... but *REALLLLLY* slow. If you are processing several hundred shots from a game, that might be a deal breaker, as well. I'm pretty sure that one can turn off the advanced NR processing, and that will speed things up immensely, but then the NR is no better -- maybe even worse than ACR or LR.

T

Tom Mann

Guru
Well, after searching around the program for any indication that it has the new NR algorithm, I went on line and discovered that the new noise reduction was first introduced in version 10, whereas the free version we got is v.8. :sad:

Obviously, it makes sense that they are not going to give away the crown jewels for free, LOL.

We're leaving in an hour or two for another weekend trip to upper NY state. Maybe when we get back and I have more time to familiarize myself with v8, I'll download a demo of v9 just to test that one aspect.

T