What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hershy314

Guru
Went to the local park tonight for the 4th of July fireworks display. Now I've never taken pics of fireworks so I really didn't have a complete grasp on how to do it. I did a little research before going, that helped out a lot. I think I got some decent photos from tonight but like I said I've never done this before. Still a fun night, that's what truely matters.

100.jpg101.jpg102.jpg103.jpg

Paul

Former Member
What settings did you use Hershy, great photos by the way.

hershy314

Guru
Thanks Paul, it was nice shooting something different for once. Exposure was set to bulb, iso was 100, apature was at f11, everything else was set to auto. Tripod and cable release were my best friends tonight.

Paul

Former Member
Interesting Tom told me to turn AUTO off for night shots?

Tom Mann

Guru
Paul - so it sounds like Hershey turned off AF and set the range to infinity, more or less exactly the same as my earlier recommendation to you.

@Hershey - When shooting fireworks, I also turn off AWB (auto white balance). The reason is that it is always fighting the natural, highly saturated colors of the fireworks. For example, if the AWB system in your camera sees a nice orange burst of light, there is an excellent chance it will think to itself, "Oh, since this is orange, this must be taken indoors under normal tungsten light and should be compensated for, ie, render it nearly white." LOL.

Cheers,

Tom M