What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing a stuck lens filter (was: Death of a lens)

hershy314

Guru
I was trying to get this filter off my one and only lens so I could clean it. Well I had the filter on a little too tight so it wasn't coming off by hand. So like a dummy I grabbed a pair of pliers and tried getting it off that way. Well instead of getting the lens off I managed to break the whole lens. Looks like I wont be taking any pics for a while til I can get a new lens. Maybe I'll get one at the end of the month for my bday lol. Can't believe I did something so dumb. I know what not to do next time.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
hey, you live and learn, sorry to hear about your lens though.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hershey, did you notice that the front filter ring on the lens you linked to at KEH is damaged?

In other words, you probably won't be able to mount ANY filter on it, and if you somehow do manage to get a filter on the lens, it will be ever harder to get it off than usual.

Tom M

Last edited:

Steve

Retired Administrator
For the next time, ........
Squeezing the filter with pliers can actually worsen the problem.
The filter is round, using pliers on the lens distorts the shape and actually makes it harder to come off.
Next time try the flat of your hand pushing towards your lens while turning as opposed to gripping the filter and squeezing while turning.

Paul

Former Member
I remember my camera strap clip breaking and the camera flying towards the ground at speed the lens hit the ground first and managed to crack the edge of the lens casing, still works had it checked out, the guy at camera house said i was really lucky, sorry for your loss.

hershy314

Guru
Yeah I know to be more careful next time. At the end of this month I'm heading back to St Louis, now with no camera. Gotta friend who has a good camera up there, maybe she'll let me borrow it lol. Probably not, but if she is working I'll def. get a bday drink since I'll be there the day before my bday.

Tom Mann

Guru
To expand on Steve's excellent suggestion, if you have problems pressing and turning the filter CCW, you have several more options:

a) Use either one of the cheap kitchen lid openers ( you know -- soft silicone with a waffle pattern ) between your hand and the front of the filter, or use a regular kitchen jar lid opener.

1-silicone_lid_opener-waffle_pattern.jpg 2-jar-opener.jpg

b) If you use a leather belt, take it off, and use it like a strap wrench on the stuck filter. I've done this a zillion times and it usually works perfectly and is always available ... just looks a bit weird when you start to take your belt off, LOL.

3-strap_wrench.jpg

c) Lots more discussion of this problem is on the web, e.g.
http://digitalphotographylive.com/how-to-remove-stuck-lens-filter/

HTH,

Tom M

Paul

Former Member
You must be an OAP to know and have all those items old man:rofl:

Tom Mann

Guru
OAP - no way. I'm still working full time, but we actually do have the items in pix #1 and 3 (altho those are not my pix), but 99% of the time I just take off my belt and threaten to beat the living xxx out of the filter, and that usually does the trick. :)

T

MikeMc

McGuru
Just saw this and will comment on a couple of tricks I used daily repairing lenses.

1. Impact is the most common problem, a UV filter in front will save the ring on the lens. I prefer a metal hood ...either provides cheap protection

2. You can use those tools shown above, or find an old (or new) bicycle tube. cut to a comfortable length and wrap around stuck filter.Grip and twist!!

3. A dent in the front of a lens can sometimes be pushed out with a special tool, a reverse vice with curved jaws I have one here somewhere. I also used wooden and phenolic paddles and a mallet to re round many lenses ...Check with a good repair shop, still a few left that can do this common repair.

$_57.JPG

After thinking a bit more, I wonder what you twisted when you turned things....Front section is usually just a tube, or did you crush it?

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Just tap it and unwrap it, or was that something different?

Paul

Former Member
How about getting so frustrated at Photoshop one day and just grabbing the stuck lens and throwing it up the wall:bangdesk:

hershy314

Guru
I usually just bang my head on the desk when that happens. I did pick up a new lens today (bday present for myself), a sigma 70-210mm lens. I've heard good things about Sigma lens so I thought I'd give it a try. Kind of wish I had gotten it earlier since there is a motorcycle show this weekend, but I guess my cheap point and shoot will do. Besides it's not the camera that takes the shots, it's the person who is behind the camera. I just prefer my DSLR.