What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waterfalls and lighting on bright days

Archbob

So, I've been messing with this for a long time. I took a picture of a small waterfall on a bright day around noon. To get that silky smooth flow of water, you have to turn the ISO low, the F-stop high and the shutter speed to slow. But unfortunately, it still makes the water look really bright. I played around with shadow/highlights as well as contrast and curves and could get something like this.
final5.jpg

While it looks ok, I can't really get that coloration, lighting and look where its a smooth waterfall and not that bright even if taken on a clear day with clear skies. Any tips?

Tom Mann

Guru
a) the only way to tell if one can do better than you've already done is if u also post the original, straight out of the camera file.

b) if you had captured this on a raw file, this would be trivial to rescue. Typically, raw files easily give u an extra stop of headroom.

c) in the future, keep an ND filter in your camera bag. All waterfall photogs use them. It should be at least 3 stops.

Tom M