What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good entry level dslr?

jayalove

Hi, I've been dabbling in compositing with stock photos and am realizing it would really help if I started taking my own. Some years ago I had a nice film slr nikon. Now I'm looking at the Nikon D3300 with a sigma 18-250 lens. My main use would be fantasy style portraits and random compositing background and prop elements. Any experience with these? Suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Before anyone can possibly make an informed recommendation, we need to know what type of photos do you plan to take with your new camera? Mostly sports? Mostly landscapes, office interiors, studio headshots, night time shots, etc. etc.

Tom M

Paul

Former Member
Base model DSLR cameras all do the same thing and give the user very similar results, what makes the real differences are the lenses used and how you frame each shot and work the lighting before you click.
I went with Nikon but Canon models are very similar in size/feel and price.

jayalove

Thanks Tom I just edited the entry. Main uses are portraits for compositing and some backgrounds and props.

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks Tom I just edited the entry. Main uses are portraits for compositing and some backgrounds and props.
Do you mean indoors with hot-shoe type flashes, outdoors with reflectors and/or flashes, or something else?

Tom M

jayalove

Hmm... Probably outdoors mostly as I don't have a studio. I would need to get lighting as well and am on a super tight budget. Eventually indoors in a studio would be great for easy selection in PS of the subject. At this point I'm a total newbie though and more of a tiny budget hobbiest. Though, if it takes off, I'm happy to invest more and do it more.

Vladimir Chopine

I used canon's for long time, but got Fuji x-t10 at Adobe Max and fall in love with it, great camera. Impressive sensor for dark or light environments. However kit around $1k