What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhibition of my Steampunk Pictures

Tom Mann

Guru
This is just superb, Chris. I'm glad your show went so well - both you personally, as well as the quality of your work deserve it!!!

Tom M

PS - Sorry that I've been less active than previously and am now just posting on this thread -- I've been terribly busy.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
@dv8_fx Thank you very much for your praise, it's much appreciated.

That'll be a good idea to discuss with Dan, though he is more into creating smaller objects.
But maybe my "Esterbunny" could be built by him in a small size. Still a few month to go, haha.

It occurred to me on the way home... curiosity got the best of me.

So you had these specially printed for the exhibition. Does this mean that these most especially the one's sold off will be the one and only originals and there will be NO future re-prints?

If so, what do you intend to do with the original layered psds? I wonder what the implications are if someone legally comes across the psds of a certified GC masterpiece (ala Rembrandt) and prints out an exact sized copy...... for sale.

Tom Mann

Guru
Wow, what a great question, Vee. It turns out that this question has been discussed many times in the fine art community with respect to limited editions, not just w.r.t. Chris' personal policy on this. I think that the general concensus is that no matter what the artist says and/or their stated intent, most artists almost always keep a copy of their original digital file so that they keep their options open, but do so in a way that essentially ensures no other person can get access to it (eg, encrypted, stored on physical media that can't be accessed remotely, etc.).

Personally, I've never had the problem because the end product of my photography has always been to put it out to the public, typically, in the form of a widely distributed advertisement, "news" article, etc. about my organization, not as limited edition works of fine art.

T

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Wow, what a great question, Vee. It turns out that this question has been discussed many times in the fine art community with respect to limited editions, not just w.r.t. Chris' personal policy on this. I think that the general concensus is that no matter what the artist says and/or their stated intent, most artists almost always keep a copy of their original digital file so that they keep their options open, but do so in a way that essentially ensures no other person can get access to it (eg, encrypted, stored on physical media that can't be accessed remotely, etc.).

Personally, I've never had the problem because the end product of my photography has always been to put it out to the public, typically, in the form of a widely distributed advertisement, "news" article, etc. about my organization, not as limited edition works of fine art.

T

It's common practice to keep the psds under lock and key and armed guards... This I do.... LOL.

But say in a hundred years? And someone other than the artist's family or caretaker of estate gets hold of the CG files and makes use of it? It's not like a hand made painting or sculpture.

It occurred to me on the way home... curiosity got the best of me.

So you had these specially printed for the exhibition. Does this mean that these most especially the one's sold off will be the one and only originals and there will be NO future re-prints?

If so, what do you intend to do with the original layered psds? I wonder what the implications are if someone legally comes across the psds of a certified GC masterpiece (ala Rembrandt) and prints out an exact sized copy...... for sale.

If i sell a print, the buyer gets a certifcate that his "piece" is an original, and is never going to be sold again to anyone else.
The PSD's are on a backup, which is kept in another building. Since there is no absolute security in life, I have to accept that someone can still "steal" my files and make money with them.

T

Thanks Tom, that is exactly what I do.

It's common practice to keep the psds under lock and key and armed guards... This I do.... LOL.

But say in a hundred years? And someone other than the artist's family or caretaker of estate gets hold of the CG files and makes use of it? It's not like a hand made painting or sculpture.

Hi dv8_fx, and thanks for your comment.

My PSD's are under lock but not guarded.
I'm not an important or a well known artist, just a local artist and not famous at all. So, I'm not really concerned what happens after my death.

gedstar

Guru
Missed this post, Congratulations Chris and very well done on the sales :thumbsup: well deserved

Burned Ice

Power User
Hey Chris! Nice work! I was wondering if you were willing to share your steampunk reference folder with me, My next photoshop exam (still one month away from now) is about designing a steampunk UI for a fictional game, so having the right reference would give me a major headstart.

If you don't like sharing that (which I can understand) maybe you would be willing to link me to some good places that have em? Like pinterest?

I love that snail :)

cheers! :thumbsup:

consistentplayer

Well, that's so good to see!. Steampunk photography was one of the best projects of my daughter before. I like how it went. Its a mixture of the technology with the touches of what we had in the 19th century style in terms of fashion, arts and mechanics. I really love it!

Burned Ice
Thank you very much for your feedback.
Just click my signature to see my portfolio on behance.
For educational purposes feel free to use my images.

Regards Chris