What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color Profile issue with Photoshop CS6

Nishant Kashyap

Hi, I am a NIKON user and mostly shoots in RAW. In my recently bought CS6, I am facing issue whenever I open the pictures I am clicking with NIKON 50mm prime 1.8G, do some basic RAW editing, flatten the image and then saving the JPEG in a folder. When I open the saved image in WINDOWS photo viewer, I see a huge difference in the sharpening and colors of the saved image and the one still open in photoshop. Image in photoshop looks way sharp and colors exactly the way I want but when I open the saved jpeg, it doesn't look sharp at all, plus the colors also look off. I tried various color profiles in cs6 but the problem still persists. Please advise.

gedstar

Guru
See if this helps
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps13_colour/ps13_1.htm

Section 2 - Monitor Calibration and Characterisation
Monitor calibration and characterisation (profiling) is probably the most important aspect of a color managed workflow; yet many users seem oblivious to the issues poor monitor calibration can can have on their documents

What happens if you use a different photo viewer something like this
http://www.irfanview.com/

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
There are various possible reasons for what you are experiencing, but here are the some of the most common reasons for each:

1) Loss of sharpness when viewed outside of PS: The viewer likely has its "fill screen" or "fill window" option turned on, and your image was either around the same size as your screen/window or, most likely, smaller, so the viewer had to up-Rez your image. Such resampling always introduces a softness in the image. The solution to this is to (a) either use an image viewer that doesn't do this, and/or (b) always save your image at as large a size as possible so that the viewer is always forced to down-Rez the image for display as this preserves apparent sharpness better than up-Rezzing.

The second common reason people complain about an apparent loss of sharpness is that they are actually not seeing a loss of sharpness, but a loss of contrast (which many people interpret as a loss of sharpness).

2) Color, saturation, tonality shifts when viewed outside of PS: Unfortunately, many image viewers *still* aren't properly color managed. They interpret all images as sRGB, even if the image is properly tagged as being in another color space (eg, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB, etc.). The most likely reason you saw such shifts is that you failed to convert your image to sRGB before saving it as a JPG. While doing so may reduce the gamut of your image, this is a small price to pay to ensure that you image will display properly on the widest variety of software and hardware.

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - The problems I mentioned in the previous post are certainly not the only things that can cause the visual effects that you observed -- just some of the more common problems people encounter.

If none of the above seem to fit your situation, let us know and we'll try to debug it for you, but be advised that debugging color management problems can be a long tedious process since there are so many places it can go wrong.

Cheers,

Tom M