What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Batch Automation On Using an Action Set and Automate Batch -- Need Help

Len_Jacobson

Some time back (probably when using CS-3), I had an Action set that I ran with the "Automate => Batch. It would apply the Action set to all the JPG files in one directory and create three files in another directory, all BMP images in three different sizes. It worked perfectly fine. If, say, I had two JPG files in the first directory, "one.jpg" and "two.jpg", it would create in the second directory the following files:

• one.bmp
  • one -- Large.bmp
  • one -- Tiny.bmp
  • two.bmp
  • two -- Large.bmp
  • two -- Tiny.bmp

Somehow I lost that Action set and I am having a problem recreating it with Photoshop in CS-6.

I created the Action set by performing the actions on one of the JPG images in the first directory.

Let's say that the first directory has the two images, "one.jpg" and "two.jpg". When I run the Batch now, the files ending up in the second directory are:

• one.bmp
  • one -- Large.bmp
  • one -- Tiny.bmp
  • two.bmp

In point of fact, the two files, "one -- Large.bmp" and "one -- Tiny.bmp" have the content of "two -- Large.bmp" and "two -- Tiny.bmp". That is, my Action set has overwritten the two files, "one -- Large.bmp" and "one -- Tiny.bmp".

I used to have this working perfectly well, but now I have this problem. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have attached an image of the Action set.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 10

colleague

Guru
you can't start your action with "open image ...jpg"

if you make an action , you open an image and then start the recording

because you have files like "document-name" ; document-name"+"--Large" and "document-name"+ "--Tiny"
this was done with 3 batches ,

so you make
action1= save as bmp
action 2 = resize and save as bmp
action 3 = resize and save as bmp

and now you can make/record an action that does 3 batches in a row
1 do batch with action1(override save as ) with source-folder 1 and destination - folder 2
2 do batch with action 2 and add document-name + "-- large" + extension
3 do batch with action 3 and add document-name + "-- Tiny " + extension

with this 1 action you have it all in one

Len_Jacobson

you can't start your action with "open image ...jpg"

if you make an action , you open an image and then start the recording

because you have files like "document-name" ; document-name"+"--Large" and "document-name"+ "--Tiny"
this was done with 3 batches ,

so you make
action1= save as bmp
action 2 = resize and save as bmp
action 3 = resize and save as bmp

and now you can make/record an action that does 3 batches in a row
1 do batch with action1(override save as ) with source-folder 1 and destination - folder 2
2 do batch with action 2 and add document-name + "-- large" + extension
3 do batch with action 3 and add document-name + "-- Tiny " + extension

with this 1 action you have it all in one

Thank you very much for this suggestion. It does work, but for one problem. When I created the final Action set (that called Automate => Batch) for the three previously created Action sets, I happened to have three JPG images in Folder 1. As such, you'll see there are three 'Close' commands in each of the three sections of my 'CD BMP Files' Action set. As a result, when I run that final Action set, each time it encounters a 'Close' command, I get an error, asking me to either stop the batch or to continue.

Clearly, I could create the final Action set with only one JPG image in Folder 1, and then I would only encounter the 'Close' command once with each of the three Action sets. But that's a pain, too.

Is there a way to avoid the 'Close' commands in the Action set? I do see that I can 'toggle' the 'Close' commands so that they are ignored. But to make the Batch file "cleaner", isn't there a way to avoid the 'Close' commands in the first place?

One final comment -- I again mention that when I first created this batch job (a few years ago with CS-3), I know I didn't have to resort to an Action set that executed three Batch jobs. Might there still be a way to do this with one Action set?

Thank you again.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

colleague

Guru
You can drag all the "close" commands to the "trash"-icon and it should work fine
I have no Idea to do this in another way :)