What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Batch Automation Issue with Large Batch due to Layer Names issue

James Pyle

I have about 700 PNG images that I am batching, and about 75% of them the layer (there is only one layer in all files) is named "Background" but the other 25% it is named "Layer 0"

The action I am using is looking for "Background" so the ones with "Layer 0" error out.

I tried finding a way to do it without needing a specific layer but couldn't find a way so I figured it would be easy to batch rename the Layer 0 layers to Background and saving.

This is where I ran into my problem. When I rename to Background and save it always changes back to Layer 0. I thought maybe it was because PNG doesn't really have layers so then I converted all files to PSD with the layer named background. That worked, opening the PSD files the layer is called Background.

However then I batched saving them as PNG and the layer changed back to Layer 0 again!

I am lost as to how to fix this!

Thanks in advance.

Edit://
The only thing I haven't tried is thinkin in reverse. Converting all the Backgrounds to Layer 0 then changing my action to use Layer 0 instead of background - I might be forced to do this? maybe once the BG layer is unlocked and saved it can't be reverted to a bg layer in a PNG?

Also, If i Run my batch on the PSD files first of course it will work, then I can rebatch to PNG the problem is I need those files fixed in PNG form before my batch (these files I use many times for different batches so I need them to be correct, else I have this problem with every batch action I do)

(This is cross posted, because I meant to post here and posted on another forum by mistake...woooops..not a problem I just like to mention it.)​

Last edited:

colleague

Guru
if the png has transparancy in it , it will never be "Background" but Always layer 0
If you can convert all png-files into " layer 0" and it solves your action then go ahead with it

James Pyle

There's no transparency, although when I look close it looks like whoever cut these images maybe left some small edges..so maybe if I do action to create a new layer, place on bottom then merge it will save as background?

I could do it the other way but it would just take a lot longer.

Thanks for your reply though you probably helped me figure it out. I never knew why it would be Background or Layer 0...didn't know about the transparency thing. I will try what I said above and see if it works.

Edit:

Well that didn't work. There was indeed transparency in the edges but placing a background and flattening now I see no transparency but it still changes to Layer 0 :(

Last edited:

colleague

Guru
so you have to start the action with layer >flatten image as first line
but maybe the action creates a transparancy
and you have to end the action also with layer >flatten image as last line