What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data Merge Newbie

mcnicolh

Hi all,

I am wanting to set up quite a number of data merges, across many different photoshop files (and illustrator files actually) to help to "automate" personalised details in our designs.

I understand the concept of the data merge, and have done a few tests that seem to work. My question is this: is there a way to have the data for all designs in one spreadsheet (.CSV for example) with a column to enter the file name of the .PSD that it needs to link to? So, for example, the spreadsheet could look something like the following:

Filenamenominalscourseuniyearpersonalised message
T:\Order Fulfilment\Order Crew Member - Manufacturing\Order Fulfilment Documents\Order Design Artwork Files\MUG39B.psdDaniel TierneyBscBiomedical ScienceNorthumbria University2016
T:\Order Fulfilment\Order Crew Member - Manufacturing\Order Fulfilment Documents\Order Design Artwork Files\MUG39-PM.psdTom MulliganBSc (Hons)EconomicsUniversity of York2016Congratulations Tom Love Mum and Dad x
T:\Order Fulfilment\Order Crew Member - Manufacturing\Order Fulfilment Documents\Order Design Artwork Files\MUG39-PM.psdJohn AcantiladoBA (Hons)English, Lang & EducationUniversity of Leeds2016Philippians 4:13! Congrats on your 1st! Love, Abi
T:\Order Fulfilment\Order Crew Member - Manufacturing\Order Fulfilment Documents\Order Design Artwork Files\MUG40-R-PM.psdMial LewisMEngMechanical EngineeringCardiff2016Congratulations on achieving First Class Honours
T:\Order Fulfilment\Order Crew Member - Manufacturing\Order Fulfilment Documents\Order Design Artwork Files\MUG40-PU-PM.psdKathryn McIntyreBA (Hons)Media StudiesBangor University2016What a star!/ Love/ Mum, Dad/ Eleanor & Philip

My hope is then, that it would run through the files, open them and amend as per the data set. Is this possible?

MrToM

Guru
I doubt you'll be able to do this as simple as you indicate but as a workround...

You could have all your 'designs' in the same PSD file as groups.

You can then 'define' the visibility of each group, in effect defining which 'design' to use.

This may cause other issues if the 'design' sizes are different but you may be able to include that also in the data set if needs be, 'Pixel Replacement' has the 'Method' option.

Regards.
MrToM.