What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Batch Automation Automate Camara raw

francc

Hello All!

As you have noticed, i am quite new to the forum.

I am a bit used to photoshop, but not the nicly automate tool embeded in Photoshop.

The thing is that i hav 2 full cards of 16 gb, that needs some correction. Camara has been used by some friends, and some needs ajustment in camara raw. I quite like the automate option in camara raw to set the settings right (external daytime picture).

So, i selet daytime, and automate. Whit quite good results for what i need.

When i try to automate this. It records everthing, exect the settings i set in camara raw modes.
That part i need to set manualy.

Is there a way that i can also make a action and record the camara raw part with it? Othrwise i have a lot of work to do and it is quite time consuiming.

thanks in advance.

Tom Mann

Guru
First, I assume you want to use the version of "Camera Raw" that is a pre-processor of raw files for PS, and not the version of it available from within PS as just another filter.

If it's the former, my recommendation would be to temporarily make the default preset for ACR be whatever you need. Process all the raw images in ACR (or, equivalently, in LR) in one fell swoop, and then save the results as a bunch of PSD files. Then you can proceed on to automating the rest of the processing in PS using an action.

I hope I understood your problem correctly.

Tom M

As your last step, don't forget to reset the default preset.

Last edited:

francc

First, I assume you want to use the version of "Camera Raw" that is a pre-processor of raw files for PS, and not the version of it available from within PS as just another filter.

If it's the former, my recommendation would be to temporarily make the default preset for ACR be whatever you need. Process all the raw images in ACR (or, equivalently, in LR) in one fell swoop, and then save the results as a bunch of PSD files. Then you can proceed on to automating the rest of the processing in PS using an action.

I hope I understood your problem correctly.

Tom M

As your last step, don't forget to reset the default preset.

Thank you for your reply.
In the meantime i have foud the answer that i was looking for, and the issue.
I had photoshop 2015, and i was not seeing everything, i supect wrongly intalled or got corupted somehow (as camara raw did no showed everthing).
I could obtain cs6 from a friend, and resolved the issue.

Using the followig sequence i am able to do what i need:

Open all the pictures via brigde into camara raw.
i then do:
lens correction
ajust the settings i need for one picture. Save it as preset on camara raw.
Then select all the raws that are related (same light conditions, same lens ect) and apply the preset directly.
And i just create new presets for each lens/light condition for one raw, and apply that present on the rest of the raws.

Anyhow, now it does what i need.

thank you and i hope that above workflow helps other users with same kind of situation.

Tom Mann

Guru
Yup, that's almost exactly what I would do if I only had PS / ACR available. The only difference between what you are doing and what I described is that (a) to simplify the explanation, I suggested temporarily changing the default preset (for each set of lighting conditions) instead of storing a bunch of separate presets (...I didn't know if you knew how to do this); and, (b) I included the extra step of finishing the processing in PS since I did not know if ACR could do everything you needed, if there were favorite PS actions that you like to use, etc. etc.

In actuality, because preset management is so vastly better in Lightroom instead of PS, I would do the entire operation in LR, not Photoshop's ACR. I didn't mention this earlier because you seemed to be focused entirely on PS.

Glad it worked.

Tom M

francc

Yup, that's almost exactly what I would do if I only had PS / ACR available. The only difference between what you are doing and what I described is that (a) to simplify the explanation, I suggested temporarily changing the default preset (for each set of lighting conditions) instead of storing a bunch of separate presets (...I didn't know if you knew how to do this); and, (b) I included the extra step of finishing the processing in PS since I did not know if ACR could do everything you needed, if there were favorite PS actions that you like to use, etc. etc.

In actuality, because preset management is so vastly better in Lightroom instead of PS, I would do the entire operation in LR, not Photoshop's ACR. I didn't mention this earlier because you seemed to be focused entirely on PS.

Glad it worked.

Tom M

i agree.
This is however the first time i use photoshop in this way, using actions and presets, so, it was a bit buzzing and confusing finding the correct options and the howtos ect ect.
Anyhow, did not know that Lightroom's presets are more powerful than the one on PS. I will check this when i am at home, so that i will only lose 30 min instead of a couple of hours as i did in the past lol (i normaly do not ajust the pictures, just use the camara settings to get quality photos).

And indeed, in the opening of this post, i was not even aware of above mentioned workflow, so, that why i was so focused on PS camera raw option...

Anyhow, i have now a process that is doing all the work for me. Maybe not the best one, but it works.

Tom Mann

Guru
...Anyhow, I (sic) did not know that Lightroom's presets are more powerful than the one on PS. ...
I did not say that the presets in LR were any more powerful than the ones in PS. In fact, the behind-the-scenes math is virtually identical in ACR and LR.

What I said was, "...preset management is so vastly better in Lightroom instead of PS, I would do the entire operation in LR..". What this means is that LR gives you a much better way to organize the presets, copy parts of the settings from one preset into the settings already in place for an image, and either make a new preset or directly apply the merged result, etc. etc.

HTH,

Tom M