What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brushes Don't think I can install more brushes?

Nerdest

I went crazy when I first got my Photoshop installed. I spent a lot of time getting a deserve collection of brushes together. Now when I need a new brush/shape I download it but after installing it I am either unable to locate it or I have hit a limit or something. First is there a way to uninstall your brushes/shape and is there a max amount that you can have installed?

Hoogle

Guru
Having loads of brushes, styles, fonts, shapes etc loaded absolutely kills your video card if you have collected that many you may want to reset your preference file many tutorials on here telling you how to do that.

but if you just want to reset brushes follow the red line
brush.jpg

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Isn't it more likely to affect the RAM, seeing as the video card won't really "care" as such, unless it's rendering a particular brush?

Just sayin'

it might be worth uninstalling a few, or resetting the brushes as hoogle said, and just use what you need at the time

you do know how to load them, right?

Nerdest

Looking at his picture above then I may be speaking more of shapes. Does the same thing apply for shapes. Yes I can re-install them as I need them. I saved them all in a folder anyways.
Most computers these day do store memory in the video card without pulling on the computers ram as much these days so I would think it would overload the video card before the ram.
But the question is answered provided the same applies to the shapes. Since I am a new user to Photoshop I just grabbed anything and everything not thinking about what the effect would be if any.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
the video card will only take care of rendering, all program resources are stored in RAM when the program is open, so I've been taught.

again, just sayin.

aaanywho. protip, if Photoshop's acting up, reset the preferences.

Hoogle

Guru
Yeah same method for every tool really. If you are are still struggling disable open gl that is where all temp files are loaded ie plugins, brushes etc hence the graphics takes a killing and photoshop can take 5 mins to load if overloaded with crap.

Also having a seperate folder on another hard drive for things like brushes, shapes fonts etc helps a hell of a lot if you overload all your adobe folders then you will feel it sooner or later.

My tips for speedy photoshop dont install fonts to your system instead use the link to method you have to configure it in font settings.
then when you go to install a font you will see a new check box stating if you want to install as a link, Doing this can make your whole computer run 30% faster alone so claimed especially if you have thousands.

2nd would be to use a font manager it keeps them loaded you can preview text as and when you like using a small application and you can temp install fonts until you reboot your computer etc. google suitcase fusion for a paid version or font frenzy (I like this because it restores your fonts folder back to system default with 1 click whilst maintaining all your libaries, But I am sure they all do that to some extent) http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/05/25-font-management-tools-reviewed/

ABR |Viewer these allow you to keep all your brushes seperately and preview them without installing them, They also let you create categories and libraries
http://sourceforge.net/projects/abrviewer/

Use Edit Purge as often as possible to clear all the temp files

Run regular windows clean up using disk cleanup available in start menu but I also prefer to use cleanup
http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69

defragment your hard drive do spyware search and removal I use
mbam and spybot search and destroy.

Now for real performance increase do a registry cleaner but only do this if you know what your doing I have seen so many people unactivate software etc doing this wrong.

clear all temp files internet and windows.

and if your computer is still slow format your hard drive and reinstall back to factory settings or a clean version of windows.

Hoogle

Guru
and yes on amd based systems you are right zee however nvidia uses virtual ram that takes a heavy load of ram and cpu but we are talking the more top end cards.

Nerdest

Well thanks for the good info people. I am a nut for saving stuff on my drives. I have a new drive devoted to all of my Photoshop stuff. A two tb and a separate backup for each drive. So this post will be copied to that drive as a quick find for the future. Wife complains about my server tower, when I built it I had not started Photoshoping yet. Glad I have the room.